Hey guys! I did some tests last night and this morning! Was educational/informative!
I attached some pictures with test pieces (the same as the smallest pieces on the actual project) - anyway in the first picture you can see I have some pieces of scrap drilled into a table in my "workshop" and just simply screw them into the table in a manner which lets me wedge the to-be-glued pieces, sort of gives me a little bit of pressure.
In the second you can see the "finished" test joint, I sanded and stapled the backside of the joint so it would be realistic. Why not staple, its a little overkill but whatever... Overkill!? Ha well as you see in the other 2 pictures I picked up some 3mm and 4mm round stock and have created my own dowels! Haha, I drilled the pieces together and cut small dowels from the stock for even more insurance - however I think it is a bit overkill :D
BUT I will say that compared to the pieces from last night these joints feel actually a decent bit better in my hand. I made some joints just from glue and staples last night and broke them all - they all broke apart much much easier than the dowel reinforced ones.
The last photo is a failed dowel joint (with 2 dowels from the thicker stock - they need too much space double, two from the thinner works though) - but anyway, I found that just one dowel from the slightly thicker stock is much easier - I also made a double dowel joint but thats only possible with the thinner stock - either way 1 of the thicker is pretty much the easiest. Though I would say the double dowel with the thinner stock seemed just a tad stronger during the break test with my hands.
Tonight and tomorrow starts the fun joining phase of the project... have plenty of joints to work on!
Last edited by bulletshell13; 09-22-2015 at 04:10 PM.