A question about joining boards for a table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

View eclemmer's Photo Album My Photos
A question about joining boards for a table top

I am new to the forum, first time poster as well. I am interested in having a table top fabricated and will be looking for a qualified person to do so, but I want to talk intelligently about my needs and am wondering if what I want is reasonable to ask of someone.

I have an old (maybe 50 year old) solid mahogany gate leg table. I bought this table so I could take it apart and build two new tables- one that has been completed is now an island in my kitchen- looks spectacular with a granite top. Now, on to table 2 and my problem. I want to take the two leaves from the gate leg table and join them so they can be sanded and refinished in a new table top for my breakfast room. The leaves are 24x48 each so ideally I would get a round table top cut out that would up to 48 inch round. I assume I could just bolt the leaves together and create the top, but what I want is a smooth top that gives the appearance of a solid top, not two pieces side-by-side.

Can this be done or am I being unreasonable to ask for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
After proper machining of the joint, glue and clamp is all that is needed.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
^ yep. Just clean up the edges and get everything nice and square, then glue and clamps and a little time. Viola, one piece instead of two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode