Question about cross grain gluing. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

View motsm's Photo Album My Photos
Question about cross grain gluing.

I am very new to woodworking, but have been doing a lot of research on the subject recently, that said I am hoping someone with experience can give me some input here.

I have attached a screen grab from SketchUp of the bottom portion of a chest I am building to go under my bed. I have changed the plans a bit since that model, but it should get the point across. My question is concerning wood movement with the bottom boards being glued and screwed to the edge grain of the side boards. Keep in mind, the bottom is not an edge glued panel, they are individual cedar 1x4"s, which I have read are relatively stable. In addition to this, I made two trim pieces (breadboard ends?) to cover the end grain, that I have tongue and grooved, and planned to glue.

So considering this isn't an edge glued panel, should I be worried about wood movement?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Yes you are correct to worry about gluing wood in a perpendicular direction to your top. This is a classic woodworking no no. What would happen is the boards glued to the ends would prevent the top from shrinking so the top would split to relieve the stress.

You can do this but not use glue. The boards on the ends could be nailed on or screwed if you elongate the screw holes. Nails would bend to relieve the stress and if the screw holes were elongated would allow for the top to shrink without building up enough stress to split.
WesTex likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Yes you are correct to worry about gluing wood in a perpendicular direction to your top. This is a classic woodworking no no. What would happen is the boards glued to the ends would prevent the top from shrinking so the top would split to relieve the stress.

You can do this but not use glue. The boards on the ends could be nailed on or screwed if you elongate the screw holes. Nails would bend to relieve the stress and if the screw holes were elongated would allow for the top to shrink without building up enough stress to split.
Thanks for the reply, but it sounds like you are talking about an edge glued panel, which I mentioned I wasn't using for the bottom boards; they are just side by side. Or perhaps I misunderstood you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 08:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsm View Post
Thanks for the reply, but it sounds like you are talking about an edge glued panel, which I mentioned I wasn't using for the bottom boards; they are just side by side. Or perhaps I misunderstood you?
I misunderstood that the bottom panel was not glued together however you should never glue solid wood together in a perpendicular direction. Even the individual boards can split from shrinkage.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I misunderstood that the bottom panel was not glued together however you should never glue solid wood together in a perpendicular direction. Even the individual boards can split from shrinkage.
Every time I attempted to find such info, it always referred to edge glued panels, so thanks for the info. I'll make the necessary adjustments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode