Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
View Esmee's Photo Album My Photos

I've seen a picture of a joint that I would like to use, but I don't know what it's called in English so I can't find any more information about it. Could someone help me?
Attached Images
Esmee is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 AM
where's my table saw?
woodnthings's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,596
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's called a French cleat

Used to hang cabinets on the wall. Easy to make by ripping a long piece at 45 degrees and using one half on the wall, the other on the cabinet. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
View Esmee's Photo Album My Photos
thank you
Esmee is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Old School
cabinetman's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

The french cleat system will set whatever the cabinet and wall member combined thickness is away from the wall. For example if 3/4" is used for both parts, when interlocked, whatever the cabinet member is fastened to will be set off the wall 3/4".

In order to have the cabinet pull up tightly to the wall, if the cabinet sides protrude beyond the cleat, even a small amount, like 1/8", the sides will hit the wall first, and the cleat hasn't bottomed out. So, IOW, if the cleat on the cabinet is set in 7/8", the cleats will pull up.

Another method would be to take off the sharp points of the two cleats, so they don't interlock.

cabinetman is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
cody.sheridan-2008's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 384
View cody.sheridan-2008's Photo Album My Photos
cody.sheridan-2008 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Posts: 3,500
View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I had an instructor/cabinet maker suggest using 30 / 60 with the 60 piece on the cabinet.

I haven't tried it but it does provoke some thought.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
rrich is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome