Problems Routing with a Template - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kerrys

post #1 of 15 Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Recently retired

View OldGuy1's Photo Album My Photos
Problems Routing with a Template

I am trying to make some arms for a hall tree. The material is 5/4 walnut. I made a template for the pattern and attached it to the rough cut blank, but the template will not stay attached and it ruins the blank.

How can I attach my template to the walnut so that it will stay where I put it?

Any other hints you can offer will also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
How are you attaching it?
post #3 of 15 Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I usually use either carpet tape or hot glue. Either of the has always provided more than enough hold for me when template routing

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post a picture? It's difficult to see what you are up against with the exception there is a lot of stress routing with a template guide. Often it involves screwing the pattern to the part you wish to route.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
using a template is done often with great results. some tips: cut away the waste, and leave about 1/16" for the router, attach the template firmly (we use screws and have to fill the holes), use a good sharp router bit (we use a 1/2" carbide spiral)
post #6 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy1 View Post
I am trying to make some arms for a hall tree. The material is 5/4 walnut. I made a template for the pattern and attached it to the rough cut blank, but the template will not stay attached and it ruins the blank.

How can I attach my template to the walnut so that it will stay where I put it?

Any other hints you can offer will also be appreciated.
double face tape will hold that , i use it all the time not all tape are the same , i get mine from a cabinet supply place
post #7 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Recently retired

Problems Routing with a Template

I have been using Scotch double faced tape, and it didn't have enough grip to hold the template to the walnut. It did fine on a test piece of pine, but not the walnut.

The pattern is attached to this post. The problem area, as you might expect, is the small end curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern30002.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	249193  

post #8 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
If you are talking scotch double faced tape as in the clear tape used in crafting it is not strong enough. Use what others have suggested. Get a quality double sided carpet tape.
Wyo7200 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 05:14 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Some tapes are too sticky ...

If the tape is too sticky you can break your workpiece gettin' it apart. Hot glue is also very aggressive. Small nails or tacks may work for certain woods where the grain will split out easily. You can remove them as you work you way around the pattern if they are in the way.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
I've used this stuff from Rockler, and it has worked well for holding templates (I know it's called 'turners tape' - but it works well for templates).

http://www.rockler.com/double-sided-turners-tape

I'd say there's a high probability that you're going to have problems with tear out on your piece. I tried to make similar parts with a template and router, and gave up (at least using straight bits). I ended up cutting it close on the bandsaw (actually using the template technique on the bandsaw), then sanding to the line using a Ridgid oscillating spindle sander.

It might be that a shorter straight bit would have worked (i.e. not cutting the full thickness in one pass), or a spiral/compression bit. I didn't try either one of them.

Last edited by pweller; 07-25-2016 at 09:04 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
Clamp it and do half of it at once.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The underside of a chair arm doesn't show. If it were me I would screw the pattern to the arm and putty the two screw holes after you are done. The part still would have to be jig sawn very close to the finished size before attempting to route it. Where the end comes to a point it would be very prone to blow out.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-26-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Recently retired

Thanks, to all of you. I will try your suggestions, and advise of results.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I never have luck using double sided tape. I've ruined more then one project when the tape didn't hold. I also don't like removing the tape residue from the template and workpiece, it takes too long.
I now use a 21 gauge pin nailer and shoot between 2-4 pins depending on shape and size. In soft woods I can easily pull the pins out of the workpiece. Hardwoods don't give up the pin so easily and many break off. I just cut them as close as possible and sand the pin flush. Pins won't ruin a cutter if you were to hit a cut-off pin in a future operation. Nobody has ever noticed a pin in any of my finished projects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 07-28-2016, 01:52 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
I never have luck using double sided tape. I've ruined more then one project when the tape didn't hold. I also don't like removing the tape residue from the template and workpiece, it takes too long.
I now use a 21 gauge pin nailer and shoot between 2-4 pins depending on shape and size. In soft woods I can easily pull the pins out of the workpiece. Hardwoods don't give up the pin so easily and many break off. I just cut them as close as possible and sand the pin flush. Pins won't ruin a cutter if you were to hit a cut-off pin in a future operation. Nobody has ever noticed a pin in any of my finished projects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Say What? :smile3:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode