Problem with mitre joint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

View mdelillo's Photo Album My Photos
Question Problem with mitre joint

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to woodworking, and I tried cutting my first mitre joints this weekend with a circular saw. I needed to make two boxes; one of 1x4 red oak and the other of 1x10 red oak. The 1x4 box came out perfect, but the edges of the long ends of the 1x10 box are bowed. The angles are all 45 degrees, but only the top and bottoms meet. Is there a way I can fix this?

Picture here

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelillo View Post
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to woodworking, and I tried cutting my first mitre joints this weekend with a circular saw. I needed to make two boxes; one of 1x4 red oak and the other of 1x10 red oak. The 1x4 box came out perfect, but the edges of the long ends of the 1x10 box are bowed. The angles are all 45 degrees, but only the top and bottoms meet. Is there a way I can fix this?

Picture here

Thanks,
Mark
You have several choices. You could use a block sander and sand to fit. Or, you could use a hand plane. Or you could make a shooting board and use a hand plane.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You have 2 separate issues in my opinion

The first is that the angle setting may be a 1/2 degree off. The second is curved/bowed boards make it very difficult to get a curved line straight.
You are trying to do something using a circular saw which would be easier to do on a sliding miter saw or a table saw using a sled.
Now you have to "fix" what you have.
You can rip the boards into 5" pieces and glue them back together in a flatter configuration OR as suggested, "hand fit each joint to mate up closer. Miters are among the most difficult joints to make whether by hand or using power tools in my experience. The wood must be perfectly flat and the angle must be 45 degrees exactly. Then there is the issue of gluing them together without slipping and mismatching. Splines are sometimes used to help with alignment. This is not an easy thing to do even with good material and the proper tools....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

View mdelillo's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for your replies. Luckily the dimensions don't need to be exact. I think my best bet, given my lack of experience and tools, is to sand down the bowed edges by hand to meet up as even as I can get them to. I'll be joining them using wood glue and some L-brackets in the middle. Hopefully those will be enough to keep it together and squared up.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
If you are not to worried about correcting the bow another simple method is to secure the boards against each other and cut through the mitre with a hand saw. This will remove the thickness of blade (kerf really) which may give you a good fit with a single pass.

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelillo View Post
Thanks for your replies. Luckily the dimensions don't need to be exact. I think my best bet, given my lack of experience and tools, is to sand down the bowed edges by hand to meet up as even as I can get them to. I'll be joining them using wood glue and some L-brackets in the middle. Hopefully those will be enough to keep it together and squared up.
what you can go is glue only 1/2 of the square or just 2 pieces at a time than you only sand down 2 to fit unless all of them are curved and not even ?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
First step is get repeatable accurate 45 degree angles, use a miter saw, guide or what ever you have. Second step is to make opposite sides exactly the same length.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM

View OMC-TRIPLE-X's Photo Album My Photos
FrankC, that 2nd part is what tripped me up for quite a few of my first mitre's. Not having equal length opposites... Blah! lol. Now I use a jig & stop blocks on my mitre saw to make sure all my pieces match.

As to the thread I have been using my biscuit / plate joiner for all of my mitres. A simple face jig lets me use even the itty bitty biscuits so for trim edges / etc. i get added strength and the benefit of extra help lining the pieces up snugly for final assembly and clamping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode