pocket screws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
pocket screws

New to the use of pocket screws and I notice that the 2 boards often torque when seating the screws. Have had some success with clamping the pieces. Using big box pine. Any suggestions besides learning how to be a true woodworker and not rely on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-26-2020, 07:18 PM

View yomanbill's Photo Album My Photos
Two questions: are you using the correct size screw for the pocket hole? Are you boring the pockets at the correct location relative to the board edge? If your screws are too large and/or don't have the smooth shank, they will bite into the first board and tend to twist it out of alignment before it is fully seated in the second board. The same can happen if your pocket is too far from the edge because the extended point on the end of the pocket boring bit can't make a screw hole all the way to the edge. Then the screw will act the same as above because it does not have a completely pre-drilled hole.
I sometimes want my pockets farther from the edge. When I do that, I use a longer bit to follow up and complete the screw hole.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2020, 06:40 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Clamping is critical with pocket screws. For face frames you need to move the clamp over each screw before seating. I recommend the vise grip type clamps with big pads.

For something like a cabinet box, same thing, except you’re using a bar clamp. Tighten down hard.

I use a standard drill rather than in impact for pocket screws, especially in plywood.

That said, it’s easy to get addicted to pockets screws. In many cases they are not a substitute for joinery, such as fixing an apron to a leg.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

View ortho1121's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the tips. I believe I am following the Kreg chart for screw length and depth but I will verify this on my next project.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:06 AM

View GSXRFanIM's Photo Album My Photos
100% clamping is critical like DrRobert said.
They are nice and quick to use but I really want to get into the traditional joinery one of these days...LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode