Plunge or fixed router for dovetail jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Plunge or fixed router for dovetail jig

It probably doesn't matter really, but with style of router is better for use with Leigh dovetail jigs. I currently have a plunge/fixed router with the fixed base attached to my router table. I was looking at getting a second router so I don't have to change out bits when using the jig.

Does it matter? Which is better?

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
The dovetail jigs need the router height to be set, so if you use a plunge router base, it needs to be set at the correct height first, hence no use of the plunge.

Think about the shape of the dovetail. This is why the jigs push the router into the wood. Slight height adjustments are used to get the joint to fit.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM

View Bonka's Photo Album My Photos
Router

I have a Bosch 1617 with both fixed and plunge bases. After using them both on my D4R I prefer the fixed base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer a fixed base on a dovetail jig. Typically, the visibility is a bit better with the fixed base. I currently have an old Craftsman fixed speed dedicated to the dovetailer but am thinking about setting my Bosch Colt up to accept guide bushings and trying it. One of those projects on my round tuit list.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Either router would work but if you are just using the router for dovetail joints I would get the fixed base. A plunge router is more cumbersome and heavier.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
It probably doesn't matter really, but with style of router is better for use with Leigh dovetail jigs. I currently have a plunge/fixed router with the fixed base attached to my router table. I was looking at getting a second router so I don't have to change out bits when using the jig.

Does it matter? Which is better?
i would have to fix base routers if it were me. Once the bit's are set that you don't have to change. Lot's of extra work.
what i done was buy 2 ryobi combo table and router for $99 These have worked for me for over 3 yrs now and still going. I have the gifkins dovetale jig. It is a movable jig not a fix. I like that better only 2 set ups and you are ready to do dovetale and they come out perfect. One table for tales and one for pin's. That way you dont have to change back and forth. I cut lot's of dovetales and pin's i have made probly 500 or so of jewelry box's. I set up at craft show's. I can be done with this set up before you can change bit's and set height of bit's. here is the link if interested
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Fixed base tends to have a lower center of gravity, which makes it a bit easier to balance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode