Patio Doors - dry rot - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

View jintheace's Photo Album My Photos
Angry Patio Doors - dry rot

I have 3 double wide out swinging patio doors (door frames are 60" wide x 94" high [yes, slightly less than 8'] ). These doors face south and receive blowing rain when it storms here in northern California.
All six doors have dry rotted at the bottom - I'm finding pieces of the doors on the patio. The doors are glass with Douglas fir frames painted white on the outside, clear varnish on the inside. I need to fix the dry rot before the doors fall apart.
I'm thinking of removing each door, cutting off the bottom to good wood, gluing a piece of fir to within 7/8" of the bottom, if needed, then gluing a 7/8" piece of teak wood to the original length.
I've looked at door shoes, a door guy said shoes are not normally used on out-swinging exterior doors, but the bottoms should have been finished when the house was built 12 years ago - I don't believe they were, the door bottoms were in contact with the threshold, so water wicked up and caused the dry rot.
My questions are does this sound reasonable and what type of glue do I use to join the teak to the doug fir? I want a permanent (20 year) solution if possible.

Thanks, any comments are most appreciated.
John N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 PM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jintheace View Post
I have 3 double wide out swinging patio doors (door frames are 60" wide x 94" high [yes, slightly less than 8'] ). These doors face south and receive blowing rain when it storms here in northern California.
All six doors have dry rotted at the bottom - I'm finding pieces of the doors on the patio. The doors are glass with Douglas fir frames painted white on the outside, clear varnish on the inside. I need to fix the dry rot before the doors fall apart.
I'm thinking of removing each door, cutting off the bottom to good wood, gluing a piece of fir to within 7/8" of the bottom, if needed, then gluing a 7/8" piece of teak wood to the original length.
I've looked at door shoes, a door guy said shoes are not normally used on out-swinging exterior doors, but the bottoms should have been finished when the house was built 12 years ago - I don't believe they were, the door bottoms were in contact with the threshold, so water wicked up and caused the dry rot.
My questions are does this sound reasonable and what type of glue do I use to join the teak to the doug fir? I want a permanent (20 year) solution if possible.

Thanks, any comments are most appreciated.
John N.
Replace the bottoms with stainless steel.Use them thar ole fashinned yeller pages and find a sheet metal shop.Give them a call. They'll straighten you out and it will look FANTASTIC If you want to get kinky ask them to do it in brass or copper !
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 01:31 PM

BTW. Site owner. GO **** YOURSELF ! Why is 1/5 of this page littered with THAT PIECE OF **** Clinton ? Hail Satan ! BYE BYE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM

aWWWWWWWW%$$%%%##@[email protected]%$^&*()**& How nice. Fhuh Kewe. Get it ?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilaran View Post
BTW. Site owner. GO **** YOURSELF ! Why is 1/5 of this page littered with THAT PIECE OF **** Clinton ? Hail Satan ! BYE BYE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilaran View Post
aWWWWWWWW%$$%%%##@[email protected]%$^&*()**& How nice. Fhuh Kewe. Get it ?
Undies too tight?

post #6 of 6 Old 12-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Undies too tight?

Eggnog...

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video

Tags
dry rot, teak, waterproof glue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode