Osb - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryan50hrl

post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

View newgene's Photo Album My Photos
Question Osb

I want to use 1/2" OSB for my shop cabinets drawers and shelves. My lower cabinet will be 12 feet long and will fit my old radial arm saw as well as a dust collection system. Some of the supports will be 2x4s. With the long upper and lower cabinets, using good plywood will be more than I want to spend. For the drawers, I will face them with 1/2" plywood but the carcass is planned to be 1/2" cheap OSB and ride on 22" Blum 3/4 slides. The upper cabinets carcass OSB will a face frame of pine or ?? with overlay shaker style doors with inserts of 1/4" plywood.

I tested a 1/2" OSB joint using Titebond III and 1" staples. The butt joint is very strong.

Why not use OSB?

Last edited by newgene; 05-13-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: my mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Wouldn't be my first choice, but their your drawers. How much are you paying a sheet for osb?

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Not only wouldn't it be my first choice it wouldn't be my last choice either. After a while the stuff frays into splinters. It may seem alright when new but it quickly deteriorates. If you are looking for cheap use 1/2" MDF. Better would be any kind of plywood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
OSB has taken the place of plywood in many applications. The number one being roof decking. OSB is fine to use for shop cabinetry.
After all, for most of us, our shop cabinetry is not furniture.
1/2" OSB is not as strong as a good 1/2" plywood. But it's very sufficient for the side of a cabinet. For shelving, it will need support.
You said you're using 2x4's for support, so that will make it strong. Using OSB for your drawer side will require fasteners with your glue.
Like 1 1/2" finish nails or finish staples.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Not only wouldn't it be my first choice it wouldn't be my last choice either. After a while the stuff frays into splinters. It may seem alright when new but it quickly deteriorates. If you are looking for cheap use 1/2" MDF. Better would be any kind of plywood.
I have used MDF except for show drawer fronts - I plan on using butt joints with Titebond and staples - will that be as strong as the OSB alternative? Also the 1/2 inch MDF panel price is slightly higher than plywood - I am looking for cheap.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

About $12.50 - usually on sale for around $11 for 4x8 1/2 inch
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgene View Post
I have used MDF except for show drawer fronts - I plan on using butt joints with Titebond and staples - will that be as strong as the OSB alternative? Also the 1/2 inch MDF panel price is slightly higher than plywood - I am looking for cheap.
MDF would make a much better drawer box than OSB. I fear you will have difficulty with OSB holding the drawer slides on for any length of time. Back in the 1970's you used to be able to buy MDF drawer side material which had a slightly rounded top with the groove already in it for the drawer bottom. It also had kind of a woodgrain print on it. The company I worked for made thousands of drawers out of this stuff for residential cabinets.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 04:31 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Just personal opinion, I hate osb. And my shop cabinets are furniture. Ash face frames and raised panel doors and drawers, 3/4" birch ply carcasses. I like things in my shop to be nice. My Adirondack chairs I have in there are white oak. Walls are t and g knotty pine. I tend to get a little nuts on things.
Mike Hawkins:smile3:
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I agree. My most recent shop cabinets. Shop cabinets give you the opportunity to practice skills.

Name:  ImageUploadedByWood Working Talk1463345672.551934.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  64.4 KB
Toolman50 likes this.

The tools don't make the craftsman....

Tags
osb, shop cabinets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode