Orientation of wood when joining to create surfaces. Pics. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
civ

View civ's Photo Album My Photos
Orientation of wood when joining to create surfaces. Pics.

I'm wondering a few things about board orientation when joining to create surfaces. If I join pieces of wood length side to length side and glue/ cure them in some cauls, will they bow over time?

If I get more creative with the wood orientation like whats shown in the image below, would that help prevent bowing? Im thinking yes but cant help having a little bit of doubt. It's a lot more work and wondering if it's even worth it. It does look nice but for what im using them for, most of the wood is going to be hidden anyways. Only the edges really will be visible.

Please advise. Just so you know,... the final surface dimensions will be 29.5" x 14.5" x 1.25". Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	2115
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	96264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	96265  

Last edited by civ; 06-09-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Wood expands more across the grain than it does lengthwise with the grain so the configuration in the second photo does not work well. As the wood expands sideway it will break the joint where the two different orientations meet.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
>>>> configuration in the second photo does not work well.

Nor does the configuration shown in photo #3. No matter the pattern, any cross grain situation is subject to damage from seasonal expansion/contraction.

The only acceptable construction is that shown in photo #1.

Howie..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
civ

What about cupping? The method in pic #1 I feel will cup like crazy. I an familiar with alternating the end grain. I was thinking the pieces of wood in pic #2 would bow and cup to a minimum because the pieces are so short. Just under 8" each piece. You really think that they will bow and cup so much that they would destroy their joints?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Long grain to end grain is not strong and like others have said the expansion will cause joint failure.

George
post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't see any difference between #1 and #3, or between #2 and #4.

The problem with #2 and #4 is that there are cross grain pieces locked in with no ability for side to side movement. If #1 and #3 are edge glued with good 90 edges and clamped on a good horizontal plane kept flat with cauls, would produce the best glue up.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by civ View Post
What about cupping? The method in pic #1 I feel will cup like crazy. I an familiar with alternating the end grain. I was thinking the pieces of wood in pic #2 would bow and cup to a minimum because the pieces are so short. Just under 8" each piece. You really think that they will bow and cup so much that they would destroy their joints?
It is not a matter of bowing and cupping, the boards will expand more across the grain than the ones with the grain running in the other direction, where they meet will be forced apart as previously explained.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 AM

View TerryQ's Photo Album My Photos
Breadboard ends will keep it from cupping but they have be attached properly to allow top to expand and contract.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
civ

Ok, there are only 2 examples. I attached two images and added them inline with my post. I just thought that because each board will have two .3125" tongues and grooves per edge that it would be strong enough to withstand anything. Its fine ill do edge to edge. Not even going to to the tongue and groove method. Think i do edge to edge with large self made tenon biscuits. Thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
>>>> I just thought that because each board will have two .3125" tongues and grooves per edge that it would be strong enough to withstand anything.

No, almost any joint for that type of construction is never "strong enough". Sooner or later, something will "give".

Howie..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode