Ok to thin yellow wood glue (titebond)?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

View torrey's Photo Album My Photos
Ok to thin yellow wood glue (titebond)??

I am going to be flat glueing 3" wide boars to cabinet finished plywood for a table top I am thinking of "thinning" the glue a little to make for thin smooth application of the glue and longer work time. Does anyone have input on doing the thinning. I am looking at 5% water as suggested in another website forum thread I found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrey View Post
I am going to be flat glueing 3" wide boars to cabinet finished plywood for a table top I am thinking of "thinning" the glue a little to make for thin smooth application of the glue and longer work time. Does anyone have input on doing the thinning. I am looking at 5% water as suggested in another website forum thread I found.
You could, but I wouldn't.

post #3 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Thinning = less glue in the joint. I wouldn't do it, either.

...GEAUX KNICKS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Why wood you?Most wood glue dries clear.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #5 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
I wouldnt if its a big top do it in sections its easier and solid glue is better than deluted How thin is the wood????

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Leave it unthinned and put it on with a roller. I use a 3" hot dog roller for paint and a white foam roller. Works well and fast. But it puts on a thinner coat than I like so I coat both of the pcs to be joined.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #7 of 36 Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
If you go with TB3 it will have a longer working time. I've thinned yellow glues a couple times for various reasons and never had any poor outcomes but I can see how it could cause problems.

~tom. ...GEAUX TIGERS!... ...GEAUX SAINTS!......
post #8 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger View Post
I wouldnt if its a big top do it in sections its easier and solid glue is better than deluted How thin is the wood????
Right now the boards are 1/4" thick but I'm contemplating planing them down a little more.
post #9 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 AM

View jimmomech8's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Right now the boards are 1/4" thick but I'm contemplating planing them down a little more.
I am curious. How do you plane something down from a 1/4" ? You are more or less applying a veneer at that point.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Log dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrey
Torrey 1/4 inch is a bit thin for a table top.
It should be at least 3/4. You might want to evaluate your project. And do something different.
How did it get that thin?
Did you plane it to that thickness?

post #11 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmomech8 View Post
I am curious. How do you plane something down from a 1/4" ? You are more or less applying a veneer at that point.
My planer goes down to 1/8". Yes it is going to be basically a veneer. on the 3/4" plywood.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
titebond can be thinned down 5% water, but I haven't ever
post #13 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My planer goes down to 1/8". Yes it is going to be basically a veneer. on the 3/4" plywood.
Was a higher quality ply not available?
post #14 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Torrey 1/4 inch is a bit thin for a table top.
It should be at least 3/4. You might want to evaluate your project. And do something different.
How did it get that thin?
Did you plane it to that thickness?
The hardwood is being glued on to a sheet of plywood. Yes I planed it down to this thickness because the wood I need to use (to match the chairs) is reported to have a tendency for warpage over time and could tend to separate at joints or split if done as a solid top. The idea of planing down to a "laminate" concept is to reduce the volume of the hardwood and "anchor" it on to the plywood. My thinking was that the thinner wood will not have the strenth to warp like 1" thick peices would. The wood was kiln dried over two months ago so hopefully will be stable as it is going to be. It is an unusual idea but I discussed it with a cabinet maker that is used to working with the woods down here in Belize and he felt it was a "possible" idea worth trying.
This is my first table and perhaps I'm being too adventurous but that is my nature so "pray" for me. If it doesn't work out then we will be discussing design for my SECOND table. I've decided that furniture building is going to be my retirement hobby so If I have to practice it just fills up more time.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post
titebond can be thinned down 5% water, but I haven't ever
Yes I had read that on another website as reported to be info from a titebond company representative who indicated no reduction of strength. But 10% does weaken it so it may be too much of a gamble with the risk of getting the ration wrong.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The hardwood is being glued on to a sheet of plywood. Yes I planed it down to this thickness because the wood I need to use (to match the chairs) is reported to have a tendency for warpage over time and could tend to separate at joints or split if done as a solid top. The idea of planing down to a "laminate" concept is to reduce the volume of the hardwood and "anchor" it on to the plywood. My thinking was that the thinner wood will not have the strenth to warp like 1" thick peices would. The wood was kiln dried over two months ago so hopefully will be stable as it is going to be. It is an unusual idea but I discussed it with a cabinet maker that is used to working with the woods down here in Belize and he felt it was a "possible" idea worth trying.
This is my first table and perhaps I'm being too adventurous but that is my nature so "pray" for me. If it doesn't work out then we will be discussing design for my SECOND table. I've decided that furniture building is going to be my retirement hobby so If I have to practice it just fills up more time.
For what you are doing, thinner is better. 1/4" may be too thick, try 1/8". That would be taking it down by hand though. Once done, you also want a good seal coat as your first layer.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheseuga View Post
Was a higher quality ply not available?
No, down here in this little village in Belize I have to use what they import in and they have a tendency to only bring in less expensive stuff to accomodate the local economy factors. The ply wood is much more expensive than the beautiful hardwoods down here because it has to be imported. The sheet of plywood for this project cost almost as much as ALL the hardood for the base and laminate planks.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
Ahh. Carry on then.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Log dog

I'm curious to see how this goes.
Good luck.

post #20 of 36 Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillemJM View Post
For what you are doing, thinner is better. 1/4" may be too thick, try 1/8". That would be taking it down by hand though. Once done, you also want a good seal coat as your first layer.
I don't think I could succeed in hand planing evenly, I'm not that gifted, but my thickness planer can go down to 1/8".
I just remembered that I said the plywood was 3/4" (which was my plan) but they only had 5/8" so that is what I'm using. But that would still leave me with a finished thickness of 3/4" and the base is built with cross supports underneath so it should be strong enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode