Oiled based poly over water based poly? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

View Emutennis's Photo Album My Photos
Oiled based poly over water based poly?

I had new hardwood floors installed and decided on a water based poly because the is no color and I wanted a more natural looking floor. I have several spots on the floor already and I have had five people ask me if my floors were LAMINATE!! Ugghhh-really. Can you go over the water based poly with an oil base poly with sanding the entire floors? My installer was the one that recommended the satin finish-does water based poly come in a higher gloss? My floors look laminate because they basically have no shine-HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
You probably can, but I'm not sure it would do what you want. The reduced sheen is from the flattener's in the finish, they will be there as long as the finish is there. I know removing it it is a big PITA, but the best approach.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emutennis View Post
I had new hardwood floors installed and decided on a water based poly because the is no color and I wanted a more natural looking floor. I have several spots on the floor already and I have had five people ask me if my floors were LAMINATE!! Ugghhh-really. Can you go over the water based poly with an oil base poly with sanding the entire floors? My installer was the one that recommended the satin finish-does water based poly come in a higher gloss? My floors look laminate because they basically have no shine-HELP!!

You can overcoat WB with OB, but I wouldn't. You would need to do a light sanding once the WB has cured completely. There are many brands of WB poly suitable for flooring that comes in a high gloss. If what was used is called "gloss" it may only need another application or two.

Tags
oil based poly, water based poly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode