non stick products - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Maker of sawdust

View wood shavings's Photo Album My Photos
non stick products

Anyone: Are there any plastics that can be cut and used as plugs that will not be adhered to by glue? I am working on a project that will have several through mortises and if I can glue up the legs with four pieces two as opposing edges with two running in the center and spaced to accept the tenon. gluing it all together and using the plug only for the initial glue up pulling it out for future use on the project.
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood shavings View Post
Anyone: Are there any plastics that can be cut and used as plugs that will not be adhered to by glue? I am working on a project that will have several through mortises and if I can glue up the legs with four pieces two as opposing edges with two running in the center and spaced to accept the tenon. gluing it all together and using the plug only for the initial glue up pulling it out for future use on the project.
Jerry
If you make a Plexiglas plug, and it's sanded and polished, glue won't stick. Other materials may be more difficult to find, like nylon, Delrin, HDPE, or PVC.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
you can probably find nylon spacers at Ace harware, they have everything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood shavings View Post
Jerry
Hi Jerry - If I read you correctly, you want something to plug the mortises so you will need rectangular plug. Plastic cutting boards are generally HDPE. May be able to find a cheap on at a Salvation Army or Goodwill store. They cut and route very well to get them shaped.
I'd drill a pilot hole in the middle of 'em and run a screw in about half way to facilitate removal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode