No Woodworking Experience, How could I disassemble this bunk bed? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 05-03-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

View peyori's Photo Album My Photos
No Woodworking Experience, How could I disassemble this bunk bed?

Hi. I have no prior woodworking experience, and I am coming here to find some help to a question.

I am helping someone with a home project and a part of it is disassembling a bunk bed. We would like to take the top off, that way we can use the bed as just one unit. How would we go about doing this, and what type of connectors are these?

https://ibb.co/JsCgVzN

https://ibb.co/41RJvvs

https://ibb.co/476fn2W

Last edited by peyori; 05-03-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Images not showing up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Usually those buttons are not glued so they should pop off allowing access to the screws to disassemble the posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-04-2020, 10:55 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
Most bunk beds that I have seen are designed with the bed posts pinned together. In other words, made separately with holes in the top and bottom of each post. Then there are steel pins that get inserted into the top end holes and the bed posts for the upper bunk fit down on these pine. Even 3 bunks high is possible with this design.

Unfortunately, I see no joint in your posts, so the bed will likely need to be dis-assembled and then modified by sawing the bed posts off at the desired height, or making short replacement bed posts of the desired height. The round buttons are covers for recessed screws. You will need to pop them off to get access to the screws. Once the screws are removed, you should be able to dis-assemble the bed.

Now the woodworking begins. If you cut the existing bed posts, you are going to permanently loose the upper bunk. If you make short bed posts for just the lower bunk, copying the design as closely as possible, and storing the upper bunk, long posts, and ladder, you can some day convert the single bed back into a bunk bed. The design looks simple enough that you should be able to make short bed posts quite easily. Some higher quality construction grade lumber, a saw, drill and bits, and sandpaper are all that would seem to be required to build them, plus a finish to match the original.

Charley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode