newbie question freud 58-112 slot cutter - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

View larry0846's Photo Album My Photos
newbie question freud 58-112 slot cutter

many thanks for your help -- thought i'd try using a slot cutter to do tongue/groove -- long story short -- i ordered a freud 63-162 1/4-Inch Slot Cutter Set 9/16-Inch Depth -- but ended up with a freud 58-112 slot cutter and a freud 60-120 arbor -- getting the 58-112 off the pedestal in the box was hard enough but putting the 58-112 on the arbor is apparently beyond my skill set --

i'm looking at the diagram -- arbor shaft that router collet tightens down on, shim, slot cutter, shim, bearing, shim(s), nut --

but the slot cutter will not slide down the shaft of the arbor any farther than just past the threaded area --

do you crank on the nut to drive/force the slot cutter to seat on the top set of shims ?

what are the shims for in the first place -- i thought one would change the position of the slot cutter by adjusting the router in the table -- up or down --

sorry to be so dense -- thanks for your patience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0846 View Post
many thanks for your help -- thought i'd try using a slot cutter to do tongue/groove -- long story short -- i ordered a freud 63-162 1/4-Inch Slot Cutter Set 9/16-Inch Depth -- but ended up with a freud 58-112 slot cutter and a freud 60-120 arbor -- getting the 58-112 off the pedestal in the box was hard enough but putting the 58-112 on the arbor is apparently beyond my skill set --

i'm looking at the diagram -- arbor shaft that router collet tightens down on, shim, slot cutter, shim, bearing, shim(s), nut --

but the slot cutter will not slide down the shaft of the arbor any farther than just past the threaded area --

do you crank on the nut to drive/force the slot cutter to seat on the top set of shims ?

what are the shims for in the first place -- i thought one would change the position of the slot cutter by adjusting the router in the table -- up or down --

sorry to be so dense -- thanks for your patience
Hi Larry - I see no one has come back yet so I'll take a stab at it.
I haven't had the issue but the cutters do have a tight, slip fit on the arbor. Make sure both the cutter and arbor are clean and free of burrs. I think Bosch bought out the cutting tool division of Freud a couple of years back but I have still had good luck with their customer service, you may give them a call. That 4-wing cutter sounds sweet.
http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/contact

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Freud arbor and cutters. The cutters need to slide to the smooth shaft on the arbor. I may have the same arbor as you, it's kind of hard to tell. You said you had a 63-162 set, which according to catalog is a 1/2" shank set, but the arbor number you mentioned (60-120) is listed in the same catalog as a 1/4" shank. Regardless, I have the 60-102 arbor (1/2" shank), and several of the cutters. They all slide smoothly to the smooth part of the arbor. I usually put the cutter on first, then a washer, then the bearing (some of them do have an up/down you have to pay attention too). After the bearing, whatever number of washer needed the fill up the shank just so you can get the nut on slightly past the threads once tightened. I agree with John that you should call Bosch...my guess is you have a defective cutter or arbor.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 04-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

john hit the nail on the head -- i few swipes with a rat tailed file around the inside of the slot cutter did the trick --

many thanks --
post #5 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Glad you got it worked out....be sure to put the cutter on in the right direction. Doesn't work very well backwards....don't ask how I know .

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

that would be with the open face of the cutter spinning in the same direction as the router -- 10-4 ??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode