newbie with jointer question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
View hmwic's Photo Album My Photos
newbie with jointer question

I've been looking for a jointer to start some projects making cutting boards. I found a craigslist posting thats in my price range and I wondered what any of you know about the quality of this item and if it would be agood fit for the projects I intend to start with. Thanks in advance for all thoughts. The price is $200.00
Previously owned Craftsman 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer Model# 351.227240

Excellent condition, Runs Great. Heavy cast Iron.

* 1Hp. ,115V Motor
*3 Knife Cutter head
* 6-3/4" X 46" Table
* Operators Manual
hmwic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Woodenhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 256
View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to post this in the Power Tools section of the forum since that would be most appropriate. This section would be for questions regarding things like how to cut dovetails or mortise and tenons etc.

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
Woodenhorse is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodenhorse For This Useful Post:
hmwic (11-14-2014)
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,068
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwic View Post
I've been looking for a jointer to start some projects making cutting boards. I found a craigslist posting thats in my price range and I wondered what any of you know about the quality of this item and if it would be agood fit for the projects I intend to start with. Thanks in advance for all thoughts. The price is $200.00
Previously owned Craftsman 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer Model# 351.227240

Excellent condition, Runs Great. Heavy cast Iron.

* 1Hp. ,115V Motor
*3 Knife Cutter head
* 6-3/4" X 46" Table
* Operators Manual
Nevermind what I wrote before. I did a google search and came up with the wrong jointer. That one is much better than mine and I think it's worth $200.00

Last edited by Steve Neul; 11-14-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Steve Neul is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
hmwic (11-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
View hmwic's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Steve. I may go get it tomorrow, I appreciate the second effort!
hmwic is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: port st lucie, florida
Posts: 1,239
View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwic View Post
I've been looking for a jointer to start some projects making cutting boards. I found a craigslist posting thats in my price range and I wondered what any of you know about the quality of this item and if it would be agood fit for the projects I intend to start with. Thanks in advance for all thoughts. The price is $200.00
Previously owned Craftsman 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer Model# 351.227240

Excellent condition, Runs Great. Heavy cast Iron.

* 1Hp. ,115V Motor
*3 Knife Cutter head
* 6-3/4" X 46" Table
* Operators Manual
i have owned one and never again, if you have to change the knives , it is a real pain, and you may not get it right ? you can get a ridgid jointer with a life time warrenty, not on the knives but this jointer both bed's move so you can set it up very easy , on knives changes ect, you can lower the out feed table and get it right, on the craftman it is fixed on the out feed , only the end feed moves, do what you want but if it were me i would pass , i don't own any sears item's and wont buy any, dont like the product, my 2 cent's
del schisler is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
View hmwic's Photo Album My Photos
Many thanks,Del. I value all input.
The jointer was sold when I called yesterday morning.
I've seen Rigid products on Craigslist form time to time and now I know a little more about them.
hmwic is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-10-2015, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Al_Amantea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 146
View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
If this is the jointer im think of, (i own one myself and use it almost daily) it actually a great jointer. Both tables are adjustable, the knives aren't difficult to change (springs at the bottom of the knife), its powerful enough to face joint hard maple and hickory at full width (6"), and runs very quiet.
My jointer is model 351.227240. It's a late 90s model, around 1998 i think.
Very heavy. Tables are flat and true (the whole thing is cast iron on a sheet metal base).

The only complaint that i really have is that dust collection is difficult. I ended up fully enclosing the base and adding a 4" port to that in order to get enough dust collection. If you dont have a dc, the chips will mostly fall straight down underneath.
I do recommend putting it on wheels in order to move it around.
If iremember correctly, this jointer was made by AMT, and is actually a well made, quality tool.
I believe that either Grizzly or Jet bought out the tooling for this model when AMT went out of business.

Definitely worth the money. Knowing what i know about mine, i would easily pay up to 300 for it again. But i got mine from a friend for $75.00. Ok, i stole it from him for $75.00...
I have a digital copy of the manual if you need it.


Last edited by Al_Amantea; 01-10-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Add photo
Al_Amantea is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: port st lucie, florida
Posts: 1,239
View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
If this is the jointer im think of, (i own one myself and use it almost daily) it actually a great jointer. Both tables are adjustable, the knives aren't difficult to change (springs at the bottom of the knife), its powerful enough to face joint hard maple and hickory at full width (6"), and runs very quiet.
My jointer is model 351.227240. It's a late 90s model, around 1998 i think.
Very heavy. Tables are flat and true (the whole thing is cast iron on a sheet metal base).

The only complaint that i really have is that dust collection is difficult. I ended up fully enclosing the base and adding a 4" port to that in order to get enough dust collection. If you dont have a dc, the chips will mostly fall straight down underneath.
I do recommend putting it on wheels in order to move it around.
If iremember correctly, this jointer was made by AMT, and is actually a well made, quality tool.
I believe that either Grizzly or Jet bought out the tooling for this model when AMT went out of business.

Definitely worth the money. Knowing what i know about mine, i would easily pay up to 300 for it again. But i got mine from a friend for $75.00. Ok, i stole it from him for $75.00...
I have a digital copy of the manual if you need it.

if it was like the one in the pic, that that would be ok, with 2 bed's that are adjustable, mine was the older moder and only 1 bed that moved, like i said never again for me , thanks for reading del
del schisler is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwic View Post
I've been looking for a jointer to start some projects making cutting boards. I found a craigslist posting thats in my price range and I wondered what any of you know about the quality of this item and if it would be agood fit for the projects I intend to start with. Thanks in advance for all thoughts. The price is $200.00
Previously owned Craftsman 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer Model# 351.227240

Excellent condition, Runs Great. Heavy cast Iron.

* 1Hp. ,115V Motor
*3 Knife Cutter head
* 6-3/4" X 46" Table
* Operators Manual
If it only has one table that can be adjusted. I would pass on it. It can be a very frustrating experience trying to set the knives. Anything less than perfect will yield worthless cuts and require resetting the knives again and again and again.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,068
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
If it only has one table that can be adjusted. I would pass on it. It can be a very frustrating experience trying to set the knives. Anything less than perfect will yield worthless cuts and require resetting the knives again and again and again.

Al
Also I wonder what idiot came up with the idea of casting this arrow into the fence. There's no telling how many times I've had a knot or splinter hang on this indentation.
Attached Images
 
Steve Neul is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Also I wonder what idiot came up with the idea of casting this arrow into the fence. There's no telling how many times I've had a knot or splinter hang on this indentation.
So fond of the wobbly legs too. Mine was mounted on 4x4 legs.

Say which way does the knife turn? :)

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,068
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
So fond of the wobbly legs too. Mine was mounted on 4x4 legs.

Say which way does the knife turn? :)

Al
Funny you should ask, when I hooked up my Northfield jointer it ran backwards. I didn't notice until I started to run a board across it.
Steve Neul is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woodworking newbie looking for new jointer stinnettjn1 General Woodworking Discussion 4 08-24-2011 09:25 PM
newbie question oldwildcat General Woodworking Discussion 6 06-05-2011 08:50 AM
Newbie ? - Planer or jointer Marcus Joinery 14 02-06-2010 12:45 AM
Newbie with a jointer problem! bupsall Power Tools & Machinery 10 01-15-2009 02:32 PM
newbie question of the week... rough lumber w/no jointer/planer asperante General Woodworking Discussion 13 10-05-2007 11:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome