New dovetail jig needed, recommendations please. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

View lateralus819's Photo Album My Photos
New dovetail jig needed, recommendations please.

So I'm in desperate need of a new jig, this general tool $40 jig is too inaccurate for my tastes.

Can't afford a leigh (I'm a very amateur diyer here lol)

$100 is fine or a little more,

Another question I'm running a ryobi router the one that comes with the router table at home depot, the R163 router. I know a lot of jigs require "baseplates" Would this particular plate work? http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...raft-1201.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus819 View Post
So I'm in desperate need of a new jig, this general tool $40 jig is too inaccurate for my tastes.

Can't afford a leigh (I'm a very amateur diyer here lol)

$100 is fine or a little more,

Another question I'm running a ryobi router the one that comes with the router table at home depot, the R163 router. I know a lot of jigs require "baseplates" Would this particular plate work? http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...raft-1201.aspx

That baseplate is a good one. I've used it on everything from Craftsman to Freud's to Hitachi and Triton. I do believe I remember one guy with a Ryobi that could only get two holes to match up but that wouldn't matter, two screws is enough. You could always drill out a 3rd hole. The important thing is to make sure you keep enough latitude to get it centered.
Here's a dovetail jig, Not an upscale but does a passable job for me.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17367
This is the last day of their 20% off sale so if you can sneak the order in today it'll come in about $120. If not, they put it on sale regularly for $119, sometimes including the dust collection.
The other one I could recommend being mindful of your budget is the Porter Cable 4216, usually $150 - 200, depending.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 8 Old 09-01-2012, 10:36 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
check craigslist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

View lateralus819's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
That baseplate is a good one. I've used it on everything from Craftsman to Freud's to Hitachi and Triton. I do believe I remember one guy with a Ryobi that could only get two holes to match up but that wouldn't matter, two screws is enough. You could always drill out a 3rd hole. The important thing is to make sure you keep enough latitude to get it centered.
Here's a dovetail jig, Not an upscale but does a passable job for me.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17367
This is the last day of their 20% off sale so if you can sneak the order in today it'll come in about $120. If not, they put it on sale regularly for $119, sometimes including the dust collection.
The other one I could recommend being mindful of your budget is the Porter Cable 4216, usually $150 - 200, depending.
I was actually thinking about that rockler jig but my router only supports a 1/4 shank.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=lateralus819;374020]I was actually thinking about that rockler jig but my router only supports a 1/4 shank.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what that has to do with the jig? Your router does need to accept guide bushings to use it but that Milescraft plate will do that nicely. Matter of fact, that's what I use on the Craftsman.
I use an ancient Crapsman dedicated to it because setting depth adjustment is such a PIA. It's a 1/4" shank permanently adjusted to do half blinds in 3/4" stock. Anything else I use a real router.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
I know you vetoed the Leigh but: I've used the Leigh since the beginning. I spent good money o n a few others but regret it. Buy cheap and buy often - lol.
I have the original 12 inch sitting on a shelf for 15+ years since I got the 24 inch as well as the finger joint template. If you were nearby you could have the z12 inch for a can of finish. I doubt anyone in in Ontario.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 PM

View Popsnsons's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a good option.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/ptree_dovetail_.comsystem.htm

Pops ~ In So Cal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode