Need help with a bolt/threaded insert type connection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

View porculator's Photo Album My Photos
Need help with a bolt/threaded insert type connection

I'm an architect with basic carpentry experience, and I need to come up with a removable stair railing connection. The railing will be in place 99% of the time but will need to be removed for moving furniture up and down the stairs. I would like to use a bolted connection, connecting a plate attached to the balusters with a sloped top plate of the wall. But since the underside of the connection will be concealed, I need some type of fixed threaded insert. I would prefer that the insert be set into underside of the bottom plate rather than the top side, to avoid any chance of the bolt ripping the insert out with it if too much force is put on it. Basically I just want something that will act as a nut and washer normally would in a typical connection.

I've attached a sketch showing the basic layout. The red line is where the two pieces will separate.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130424152943002.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	69097  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
something like this?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#tee-nut-inserts/=mgqwza

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Yes, exactly. Now my question is, how would the threads work with the bolt? I think those are meant to be driven from the same side as the bolt. So what happens when the bolt and the insert are driven from opposite ends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by porculator View Post
Yes, exactly. Now my question is, how would the threads work with the bolt? I think those are meant to be driven from the same side as the bolt. So what happens when the bolt and the insert are driven from opposite ends?
Tee nuts can be threaded from either end. They work better when the pull forces the prongs into the wood. Threaded inserts might also work.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, thank you. I found some hammer-in threaded inserts at Home Depot and experimented with those. They wouldn't hold their shape even in softwood and the bolts wouldn't make it all the way through. I think the tee nuts will probably be the way to go.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by porculator View Post
Those are designed to be driven in from the opposite side, just like your artwork.
Those sound like the ones you got from home depot and, yes, the metal is on the soft side so it isn't uncommon for the prongs to deform. I've been known to nip off the prongs and butter the underside of the t-nut with epoxy. It really can't go anywhere with the bolt installed. The prongs are primarily there to keep the nut from turning when the bolt is being tightend and hold the nut in place while the bolt is being installed. The epoxy accomplishes both nicely.
Length of the bolt needs to be at least the thickness of both pieces of the assembly minus about half the barrel length of the t-nut. This should allow the assembly to be tightened without the bolt protruding out the bottom.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #7 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the T nut's being rather soft steel.

C'man gave a link for brass threaded inserts.

Rockler sell steel threaded inserts. Harder/stronger steel than the T nuts.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/hardw...readed-Inserts

If you do use the T nuts, it looks like you want this to be flush, I would drill a recess hole for the top with a Forstner bit, otherwise the top will be proud despite attempts to drive it flush with a hammer - at least that was my experience.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
+1 on the T nut's being rather soft steel.

C'man gave a link for brass threaded inserts.

Rockler sell steel threaded inserts. Harder/stronger steel than the T nuts.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/hardw...readed-Inserts

If you do use the T nuts, it looks like you want this to be flush, I would drill a recess hole for the top with a Forstner bit, otherwise the top will be proud despite attempts to drive it flush with a hammer - at least that was my experience.
I have pretty good luck with tee nuts. Never twisted one. For installation, I use a Forstner bit first that will clear the head of the nut's diameter, and drill to about a heavy 1/16" or more to get the head either flush or recessed. The pilot point of the Forstner bit will make a center for the hole for the correct size drill bit. Tee nuts come with different length barrels.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
I had a problem staircase that was difficult to move furniture because of the balustrade. I solved it by making the whole balustrade removable with heavy bolts into the stair stringer. It worked well but it was a staircase with a landing so the removable balustrade was in two sections. Each set of balustrade with its railing and balusters could be removed temporarily. This would only work on some staircase designs. There are several ways to disguise the bolts.
Good luck.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Are these what you are looking for? http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/t+nuts

They are called "T-nuts". They are available in many hardware stores and maybe even the "big boxes". The other choice are "Theaded Inserts" but the T-nuts will be much more secure and can be tighted more without pulling out.

Howie..........

Last edited by HowardAcheson; 04-27-2013 at 12:11 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post

They are called "T-nuts". They are available in many hardware stores and maybe even the "big boxes". The other choice are "Theaded Inserts" but the T-nuts will be much more secure and can be tighted more without pulling out.
I'm just curious...did you read any of the previous posts before responding?

post #12 of 19 Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have access to the back side of the wall? T nuts must be installed with the T and prongs op the screw coming in. I would recommend a threaded insert. They can be installed any time in the construction process and only require one hole. I also find their threads to be longer and more precise.

T nuts would have to be installed out of phase with normal construction procedure. Inserts can go in when the trim man installs the rail.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

post #13 of 19 Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
>>>> I'm just curious...did you read any of the previous posts before responding?

Nope, when I'm traveling I bulk download thread responses, prepare my responses and then upload them in a batch. Could be a couple of days with no contact with a forum between download and response.

Is there a problem or are you just being a skutch?

Howie..........
post #14 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post
>>>> I'm just curious...did you read any of the previous posts before responding?

Nope, when I'm traveling I bulk download thread responses, prepare my responses and then upload them in a batch. Could be a couple of days with no contact with a forum between download and response.
Bulk downloading threads and batch responding...that's a good one, I'll have to remember that one. But, you still have the ability to agree or disagree with a post. Doesn't sound very polite to ignore what's been posted, to restate the same post, or repeat the same information.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson

Howard
I think t nuts will be hard to install. Granted they will have more strength but they would have to be installed when there was access.

Al

post #16 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM

View MissionIsMyMission's Photo Album My Photos
I'd recommend these Screw in Threaded Inserts. Pre drill with the recommended drill bit then use a flat bladed screw driver to screw em home about 1/4" counter sunk. I've used em in All kinds of wood and never had a problem except with particle board. If you use a bit of 5 min epoxy on em at the time of install they'll be there for good.

Still Got ALL my Fingers!!!
post #17 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIsMyMission
I'd recommend these Screw in Threaded Inserts. Pre drill with the recommended drill bit then use a flat bladed screw driver to screw em home about 1/4" counter sunk. I've used em in All kinds of wood and never had a problem except with particle board. If you use a bit of 5 min epoxy on em at the time of install they'll be there for good.
I agree. Skip the t nuts. I've seen them split the wood. I like to run the inserts in with a bolt and nut driven with a socket wrench.

Al

post #18 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Just a consideration here.... since it is a stair railing, which will have some sideways force, Do you think that there would be any chance of the threaded insert loosening up?

I think if it were me, and I have access to install the T-nut, that might be a better way to go.... harder for it to be loosened up/pulled out. The flange on the t-nut would provide better holding power. However, if you cannot attach the t-nut to the backside, the threaded insert would be way to go, installed like Al said, with a threaded bolt and nut attached to the threaded insert, and driven with a socket wrench, so as to try to insert it as straight as possible.

just my 2 cents... now I'm broke.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle
Just a consideration here.... since it is a stair railing, which will have some sideways force, Do you think that there would be any chance of the threaded insert loosening up?

I think if it were me, and I have access to install the T-nut, that might be a better way to go.... harder for it to be loosened up/pulled out. The flange on the t-nut would provide better holding power. However, if you cannot attach the t-nut to the backside, the threaded insert would be way to go, installed like Al said, with a threaded bolt and nut attached to the threaded insert, and driven with a socket wrench, so as to try to insert it as straight as possible.

just my 2 cents... now I'm broke.
A threaded insert will never loosen. If you can picture how a stair rail is installed and when in the construction process. It's plain to see you would not be able to install a t nut. T nuts don't have threads and require pounding them in from the back side. If you were installing a handrail you will be one of the last workers on the job site. You will be installing at trim. The wall will be drywalled and painted.

If the t nut didn't have something behind it it would wiggle back and loosen. That's another problem with t nuts they only have hold when pulled not pushed. Also there threads are shorter and not as tight on fit.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode