Need advice on modifying a table design to disassemble - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

View ditzy's Photo Album My Photos
Question Need advice on modifying a table design to disassemble

Hi. I found a design for a coffee table that I would like to build. But, I was kind of hoping I could modify it a bit so that it could be disassembled, to make it easier to transport. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience so I don't think I'll be able to make very wise changes. Would anyone be able to give me some advice?

Here's a picture:

My thought was to somehow separate the table into 4 parts: the top, the shelf, and the 2 sides. The shelf already kind of has mortise and tenon wedge joints to hold it to the sides (not included in my SketchUp). They are decorative in the plans, but if it could work maybe they could be redesigned to be functional? Then, in theory maybe there's a way to use mortise and tenon wedge joints to attach the top?

Here is where I found the design: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/buildi...dworking-plan/.

The link to the plans on the website is hard to see, so here it is: http://www.rockler.com/wordpress/wp-...ed-Diagram.pdf.

I've also attached a SketchUp file I created from those design plans, although I'm new to SketchUp so I apologize if there are some things I didn't do quite right.

Any advice would be tremendously helpful. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: skp coffee-table-brit.skp (52.2 KB, 109 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
I would use wedges to attach the lower shelf to the sides, and I would use screws to attach the top, elongating the holes to allow for movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using woodworkingtalk.com mobile app
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
The top is used in that design to make the table rigid. I would repeat the two lower wedged rails just below the top to make a rigid frame to put the top on. See the picture from a quick mod of your skp design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee-table-brit.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	98464  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

View ditzy's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think I understand this suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartel View Post
I would use screws to attach the top, elongating the holes to allow for movement.
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBa View Post
The top is used in that design to make the table rigid. I would repeat the two lower wedged rails just below the top to make a rigid frame to put the top on. See the picture from a quick mod of your skp design.
With the 2 extra rails, would I attach the top to those rails, making that one piece, and use wedges to connect that to the sides wherever I assemble the pieces together?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for the design of the mortise and tenon wedge joints? I have some sense of the size of wedge I'd need and the orientation, but not having made them before it would be reassuring to get some advice.

Thanks! ^_^

Last edited by ditzy; 08-06-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary words.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM

View JMartel's Photo Album My Photos
You would attach the top to the ends with screws. Because the top will expand and contract with wood movement, you need to allow for that or else something will break. To do that, I would just elongate the screw holes in the direction that the wood will move.

Alternatively, just use figure 8 fasteners under the top to connect it. But if you do that I would add rails under the top to prevent racking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using woodworkingtalk.com mobile app

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode