Need Advice on How To connect a piece of natural wood to another piece of natural woo - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

View MasterBlasterL's Photo Album My Photos
Need Advice on How To connect a piece of natural wood to another piece of natural woo

Greetings,
I am in need of help I want attach smaller real tree branches to a larger tree branch. Basically for the doll house for my niece she wants me to build her a miniature tree for her "back yard" at first I thought no problem but I can't figure out how to cut the branches to conform seamlessly to the trunk, how to and what tools I would need would be a huge help
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
trees usually made from pipe cleaners will be instruction somewhere on utube.
johnep
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a better question is how do I form an as close to seamless union between to natural pieces of wood. It seems likes its a matter of the angle you make the cut on the smaller piece but you have to factor in the natural unevenness of the larger piece of wood. The how to is beyond me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I think I'd use a very sharp pocket knife or carving knife if you have one. Make small cuts and test fit often.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for response. So basically this has to be done branch by branch since the larger surface will always be uneven?

Name:  image-4022411264.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  image-4256602441.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  55.0 KB

This is how far I got before I realized the project was to complex for my simple knowledge of wood working
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Another option might be to carve the end of each smaller branch to a uniform diameter and then drill a corresponding hole in the larger piece of wood and glue it in. I don't know how large of pieces you are working with, but you might be able to use something like a pencil sharpener to size your smaller pieces. The holes for the smaller branches wouldn't have to be exact fits, just tight enough to hold the branch in place while your glue dries.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
You want to make a tree for the back yard to a doll house? So why not use a real tree with the branches. I'm sure you could find one outside to look like a miniature tree.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Lector

View Glassnwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlasterL View Post
Thank you for response. So basically this has to be done branch by branch since the larger surface will always be uneven?

Attachment 60259

Attachment 60260

This is how far I got before I realized the project was to complex for my simple knowledge of wood working

My bud is into building train stuff. He drills into the base ( trunk) glues in the branch w/ wood glue, then uses Spackle & paint. looks great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode