My first frame and panel... kinda - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
My first frame and panel... kinda

I have a rather odd friend who has asked for a coffin shaped bookcase for cheap. The whole thing will be about 5' tall. This will be the first project I've made for someone else, so I'm skipping my usual avoidance of plywood in the name of saving time and money. I have a good deal of experience with M&T construction but this will be my first project with anything similar to frame and panel. Heres what I'm thinking.

Name:  CoffinBookShelf.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  51.8 KB

Near as I can tell with my limited experience the best way to do it would be to make the frames out of 2"x3/4" M&T'ed together and use my tongue and grove router bit to put in a grove for 11/32 plywood to sit in. Even though I know I'm showing end grain on the front, this will be painted and it seems to be the easiest way to do it given my M&T angles will all stay square.

Can anyone foresee issues I might have or suggestions on a better way to do it? Also where could I find the general guidance on frame and panel construction? I know plywood wont move so its less important here but how much space should there be around the panels?

Last edited by GISer3546; 05-13-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode