Woodworking Talk banner

Moxon vice

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mystri 
#1 ·
I have been doing a lot of dovetails lately, and a buddy asked me if I had built a Moxon vice yet. He suggested it for dovetails, citing that it makes the whole process much easier. So I decided to do some research, and although I see tons of build videos and articles on how to build them, I dont really see too many people actually using them. Mainly just bench vices. Does it really make it easier? Is it worth building or will I probably just go to my bench vice?

#2 ·
It depends on whether your workbench Vice is tall enough for you to use comfortably. I have a shorter bench to make hand planing easier so elevating the work for cutting dovetails with a moron vice is desirable.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

#3 ·
A Moxon vise is not just for cutting dovetail joints.

I use my Moxon Vise all the time when I have the end of a wide board to work on. Trying to work on the end of a 12" x 24" board in my front vise is not very secure. I either have to work at a 90 degree angle or have the board to high and wobbly to accomplish anything. The Moxon Vise allows the end of the board to be held very close to the vise and straight up, so I don't have to bend sideways.

Eric

#5 ·
What they said:

Its kinda hard to clamp a wider board like that for dovetails, you clamp either end of the plank sure, but it tends to shift up/down on the right and left while cutting in the middle so you end up with a cleat to hold the plank steady across the whole thing.

I oft think of the Moxon as a clamp and cleat in one.

#6 ·
What they said:

Its kinda hard to clamp a wider board like that for dovetails, you clamp either end of the plank sure, but it tends to shift up/down on the right and left while cutting in the middle so you end up with a cleat to hold the plank steady across the whole thing.

I oft think of the Moxon as a clamp and cleat in one.
I believe the correct name for that vice is "Monster" Moxon Vice! WOW! Nice build on that vice!

Eric

#8 · (Edited)
I'm always thinking about a moxon vise for the end of my bench, but then I realize I'd have to spend several hours, perhaps days scraping all the dried glue off the end grain. I need to invent the "dedicated and sacraficial extra glue wiping station" and market it to woodworkers everywhere.. Now that I think about it its probably not such a bad idea after all..
I did spend a day chiseling glue off only to start all over again. I'm not quite back to the original glue mess, but it's getting there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.