Mortise and Tenon - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

View gandis's Photo Album My Photos
Mortise and Tenon

Hello all, have been searching this and other forums for the past few days, but canít seem to find an answer.

I need a chisel to cut out a large mortise (1.5◊3.5Ē) from a 6◊6Ē wooden post. I donít want to spend much.
But with research it seems like a tedious process just to get a working chisel. I have to buy the chisel, sharpening stones, and a honing jig, and sharpen, hone, and straighten the chisel.
Are there any other solutions? I just want one decent working chisel, without having to buy several other tools and accessories to have the tool work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
get a good chisel

A good chisel that will hold an edge will run about $10.00 or so Marples, or Tekton:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-67557-2...dp_ob_title_hi

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Marples-...S9F3C7MJ2F5EPX

You can use wet/dry automotive sandpaper to sharpen them on a sheet of glass with a little mineral spirits as a lubricant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqg0bWb_Gl8

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If you're going to be woodworking, you need to sharpen tools, there's no way to get around that. As far as chisel go, $50 should be enough to get you started. 20 for a set of decent enough chisels, $1.50 for a few porcelain tiles, $5 for some wet dry paper. Wanna get really fancy, spend an extra $20 and get a sharpening jig.

It's a pretty common misconception that you have to have a couple hundred dollars in various whetstones, diamond stones, platinum stones. Arkansas stones, blade guides, blade guide guides, milling machines to flatten the guide on the blade guise guide, etc just to sharpen a chisel. Any abrasive harder than the steel will sharpen the blade. As mentioned, I like sandpaper. In a pinch, a cinderblock will work

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

View gandis's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode