Mitered Joint Spline Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

View gckless's Photo Album My Photos
Mitered Joint Spline Help

I'm looking to make a jewelry box out of a piece of zebrawood, so I'm looking to miter the corners to keep the stripes smoothly running the outside of the box. I was simply going to cut flat 45* miters, then splines. What are my options for splines?

I was looking at this jig: http://www.rockler.com/rockler-large-box-spline-jig
The appeal of this is using different bits in the router. I think I could also take off that guide and use it on the table saw as well for simple slot splines. But if I use a router, and use an odd bit, for example, a dovetail or circular bit, how would I make the splines for that?

Also, I'm open to other types of joinery that would work here, but I'm pretty new to woodworking and don't have too many tools or skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion that type of spline miter is more for show than functional. If a stronger joint is what you want use this type of spline miter. It can be done on a table saw.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
FrankC (12-04-2015)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
A biscuit cutter works well with small boxes like you're making.
The biscuits come in 3 different sizes. The tool can cut at a 45 degree angle for the miters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
notice the grain direction

That is a perfect splined miter. The spline's grain is running 90 degrees to the kerf, or is cross grain. It's more difficult to make splines this way, but they are way stronger than a ripped piece running with the grain.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 AM

View Vexorg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
In my opinion that type of spline miter is more for show than functional. If a stronger joint is what you want use this type of spline miter. It can be done on a table saw.
How do you make the groove for the spline on the TS?

Do you need a special jig to hold the mitered piece flush against the table so you can make the cut?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 05:03 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post

Do you need a special jig to hold the mitered piece flush against the table so you can make the cut?
I would just set the blade to the 45 degree bevel you used to make the edge cuts, bump the fence over to center the cut on the bevel and make a test cut on a scrap. Once I'm satisfied where the kerf is, I would lock the fence and make all my kerfs exactly the same.

FYI gluing up a beveled edge box or cabinet can be a pain because the joints want to slide apart when you apply pressure to the clamps. The spline prevents this and makes a stronger joint.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-14-2015 at 05:06 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post

You don't need a special jig, you just set the blade on a 45 degree angle and run the wood against the fence or if the stock is narrow use your miter gauge to insure the cut is straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode