Miter Saw Issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

View 1011hans's Photo Album My Photos
Miter Saw Issue

I have a 12" Hitachi Laser Miter Saw that will not cut accurate 45s. I took it in for warranty repair and was told the fence was off and now repaired. It made no difference. The joints are always off about a degree and will not mesh. I used to have a 10" Delta and never had this problem.

Yes the blade is square to the fence as well with a 45 angle against the blade/fence. Have also changed the saw.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You want the blade square to the table and the blade 45 deg in reference to the fence. If these two conditions are met then I would look closely to see if there is any wobble in the blade movement. Also make sure the cutter head is locked solid in the 45 deg position and cannot move any amount.

George
BigJim likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 03:16 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A few questions ...

Isthe fence a 2 or 1 piece fence?
Can you run a straight edge all the way across with no gaps?
Does the 45 degree angle fit against the blade and fence in both left and right positions?
Do you cut miters using both 45 degree positions?

You can make a jig to cut 45's using only a 90 degree/0 degree position on the saw. RAS users do this to avoid changing from the 90 degree setting and losing it. It's just a simple plywood piece with an accurate 45 degree cut on it.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Eas...adial-Arm-Saw/

here's one for a miter saw:

I don't agree with using the small tri-square to set the 45 on the jig, it's too short for an accurate alignment.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-21-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried clamping the material when you make the cuts?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 11 Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
With the blade all the way down, see if you can move the handle side to side to see if there is any play in the saw. Not saying the Hitachi is a cheap saw at all, but some of the lesser well built saws will have side to side play which will make some cuts off a little.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-22-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Locked solid, no wobble.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM
where's my table saw?

I'm confused ...

You come here looking for help. You are asked several questions regarding the setup of the saw, then you have a two word answer to a single question. Can't expect much help with that info....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, Fence is two piece. No gaps with straight edge, and cutting both directions make the miter worse. Placing an angle against the fence and blade looks like it's perfect....but it's not. I just discovered the laser is off 1/2 of a degree. I did this by drawing a 45 degree angle on a 8x8 chunk of plywood. To match the laser line across this drawn line it's 45 1/2 degrees. If I use this setting miters are perfect.

Thanks to all for your help.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

no but I did notice select pine will slide if you don't strong arm it.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

It's solid.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 05:39 PM
where's my table saw?

I wouldn't trust a laser ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1011hans View Post
Sorry, Fence is two piece. No gaps with straight edge, and cutting both directions make the miter worse. Placing an angle against the fence and blade looks like it's perfect....but it's not. I just discovered the laser is off 1/2 of a degree. I did this by drawing a 45 degree angle on a 8x8 chunk of plywood. To match the laser line across this drawn line it's 45 1/2 degrees. If I use this setting miters are perfect.

Thanks to all for your help.
If the miters are perfect using 45.5 degrees, adjust the fence. Don't use a laser for anything that must be "dead on" accurate. They are fine for construction work, but not for fine woodworking were more precision is required. Some lasers are very precise like when getting eye surgery, but not those that come with a $150.00 miter saw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode