Miter Clamp? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By allpurpose

post #1 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

View RandomIowan's Photo Album My Photos
Miter Clamp?

Is there a miter clamp on the market that allows the user to drive screws in with the clamp on? First time I've used a miter joint today and the quick clamps didn't do such a good job, granted I do have cheap Tool Shop ones and not a higher quality like Irwin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 05:28 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
There are several types of clamps on the market for use with miter joints.

Please explain just what you are trying to do.

George
post #3 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Just a clamp to hold things together while driving in the screws. For example today I made a gate frame with 1x4s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 06:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have these

I have these from Harbor Freight but I've never tried driving a screw into the joint:
https://www.harborfreight.com/corner...ase-38661.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

What is the best way to keep a miter joint solid for something such as a gate frame or something that'll have weight on it? Should I of just gone with a butt joint? Newbie at all this:)
post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
use a half lap joint

I've made some small gates using a half lap joint. It's made by removing 1/2 the material from each piece at the corner where they meet at right angles:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For a gate a miter would not be a good joint. The half lap as above would be much better.

In general a miter joint is glued and not screwed.

George
post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I assume that the gate in question is going to be outside exposed to the elements. If that's the case a miter is very likely going to fail quickly. You pretty much have to take into account the weight of the gate and how often the gate is going to be opened and closed. Adding screws is also going to give water new places to seep into the wood unless you find a way to seal off those cracks and crevices..
Thinking about gates..I really need to replace all of them on the property here. 3 double panel gates and 1 single..for that matter the entire fence needs replaced..It's all rotting away bit by bit. I wish I had never opened this thread. Now I have more to worry about this year and next..lol

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Had to make this one to get GF to stop complaining hahas. Just bought the house a few weeks ago with a curious 2 year old gotta have a way to contain him when I'm out in the garage. I did buy extra pickets gonna go ahead and use it for now see how long it lasts. Worst case is more 4ft boards and redo at this point.

Thanks for the input!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomIowan View Post
Had to make this one to get GF to stop complaining hahas. Just bought the house a few weeks ago with a curious 2 year old gotta have a way to contain him when I'm out in the garage. I did buy extra pickets gonna go ahead and use it for now see how long it lasts. Worst case is more 4ft boards and redo at this point.

Thanks for the input!
Rule 1. Girlfriends will complain regardless of what and how you do things.. Do a great job? Cost too much.. Do a lousy job? You're incompetent..
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Just make a modest attempt to make her happy without killing yourself..lol

Impressive, huh?
post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Rule 1. Girlfriends will complain regardless of what and how you do things.. Do a great job? Cost too much.. Do a lousy job? You're incompetent..
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Just make a modest attempt to make her happy without killing yourself..lol

Agreed. Gonna have to let it sit until I'm able to fix the differential leak on the truck to get some more boards to make a brace (see how long it lasts). On the plus side gives me time to sand down the pickets smooth and just do a big load of wood next check.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 04:30 PM

Ripping into differentials is always fun and grime free..
I had to take out the entire rear axle of a truck a few years back over a loud whining noise I thought was the differential. Turns out somehow a whistle got lodged against the rear leaf spring making the noise upon acceleration . That was a fun learning experience.. To this day I have absolutely no idea how the whistle got there nor where it came from. I suspect someone was trying to screw with me and if so they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Lol
RandomIowan likes this.

Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Ripping into differentials is always fun and grime free..
I had to take out the entire rear axle of a truck a few years back over a loud whining noise I thought was the differential. Turns out somehow a whistle got lodged against the rear leaf spring making the noise upon acceleration . That was a fun learning experience.. To this day I have absolutely no idea how the whistle got there nor where it came from. I suspect someone was trying to screw with me and if so they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Lol

gotta love a learning experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode