mdf drawers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-14-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
I fail in order to learn

View purplenurple's Photo Album My Photos
mdf drawers

I am using 1/2" mdf for drawers. 4" tall and 20" deep. Is it ok to glue and just nail the sides together or do I need something more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
I would say you need something more, it's called plywood
Seriously though mdf has got to be one of the worst materials out there for building. I mean it has it's place, like making jigs, maybe a work surface but not in a drawer.
If you're dead set on using it, at least use screws, not nails and make sure to predrill it first as it's prone to split.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:
purplenurple (12-16-2013)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with ^

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 12:37 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
+3 What they said.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
By the time you put anything in it the drawer will be so heavy you'll be very disappointed.

If you have to get your wood at one of the box stores. Get some of that 1/2" white wood plywood. It's fairly flat and consistent. Also if your not so experienced or have limited tools, read up on some of the simpler ways of constructing a drawer. There are many.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM

View TheWoodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Agreed as above. A poplar core plywood or baltic birch will make a great drawer. I use the prefinished plywood in 1/2 or 3/4 depending on drawer size. I make a 1/16" deep rabbet where the front/back meet the sides. This takes away the clearcoat allowing good glue surface which I clamp until dry. I then pop a couple of brads in it for light use drawers or a few equally and attractively spaced, neatly countersunk zinc wood screws for extra strength. Added bonus is that the clearcoat makes glue cleanup super easy so no need to be conservative with the glue. I've been using this style construction for ten years of commercial and school cabinetry work and have never had a failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheWoodsman For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
I agree, MDF is just not the material to use... I had some pieces big enough for two 24x24x12 inch deep drawers...
They were so heavy they were hard to handle.... I used glue and brads, and so far, they work just fine, but I wouldn't
do it again..... Go with Plywood, or my favorite, 3/4 pine....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......
The Following User Says Thank You to Oakwerks For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 03:42 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer construction doesn't have to be complicated. Recently I tore down my work bench I built when I moved into this house in 1987. I had made three drawers using 3/4 inch CD plywood. They were assembled with butt joints glue and a finish nailer. Through the years , the drawer slides gave out (cheap) so I had replaced them with the 100# rated ball bearing slides. To break the drawers apart, I had to use a four pound sledge hammer and beat them apart (after 26 years of service). I saved the plywood for other uses. These drawers usually had 20-30 pounds of stuff in them at all times and they never came apart.

Did I mention I hate MDF? Well, I do. The dust is a killer and screw holes always seem to swell, or split the board no matter how careful I am. Predrilling helps but not always.

If I were in the OP's shoes, and didn't have any tools to mill the lumber, I would go to the local Lowe's and buy 1/2 inch poplar boards to make the drawers out of. They look nice and will hold up. I made my own by planing some poplar down to 5/8 inch and finished them with Deft Gloss Clear Wood Finish. They look really nice in the cabinets. See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTH_2897.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	84851  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
preserving the past

View shopman's Photo Album My Photos
Mdf

As it becoming obvious MDF is not good for drawer sides. I use MDF only for my painted radiator cover tops and not much else.

I have had great results making drawer boxes from polar when I just cant afford maple which is my first choice.

I have done a couple projects recently that were cost driven and i ended up making the drawer boxes with a nice 3/4 birch plywood. I did simple dado and rabbet construction that was glued and stapled. I round over the top edges inside and out (not the outside where the drawer front goes) and fill any voids before I sand them. Even clear coated these drawers look fine and are very affordable and strong.

Three pics of simple plywood and one of dovetailed maple
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG1171.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	84870  

Name:	IMAG1182.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	84872  

Name:	PIC_0188.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	84873  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to shopman For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 10 Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopman
As it becoming obvious MDF is not good for drawer sides. I use MDF only for my painted radiator cover tops and not much else.

I have had great results making drawer boxes from polar when I just cant afford maple which is my first choice.

I have done a couple projects recently that were cost driven and i ended up making the drawer boxes with a nice 3/4 birch plywood. I did simple dado and rabbet construction that was glued and stapled. I round over the top edges inside and out (not the outside where the drawer front goes) and fill any voids before I sand them. Even clear coated these drawers look fine and are very affordable and strong.

Three pics of simple plywood and one of dovetailed maple
Nice drawers. But oh my! What a mess your shop is in. Now I don't mean that in a bad way. :)

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode