Making spline slot with a router, what bit to use? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

View 240sxguy's Photo Album My Photos
Making spline slot with a router, what bit to use?

I am joining two pieces of butecherblock together to make a longer piece. I am wanting to route a slot into the ends to use a spline to make sure everything stays lined up. It was either this or a biscuit joiner.

What bit do I need to use? just a slot cutter? I don't own anything that will work so odds are I will have to go out and buy it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
I am joining two pieces of butecherblock together to make a longer piece. I am wanting to route a slot into the ends to use a spline to make sure everything stays lined up. It was either this or a biscuit joiner.

What bit do I need to use? just a slot cutter? I don't own anything that will work so odds are I will have to go out and buy it.

Thanks!
Yes, a slot cutter with a bearing. One easy to work with is a 1/4" high slot, 1/2" deep. Cut your own spline to fit.

Or, you could use a straight faced cutter if the slot (groove) is other than on the edge. Use a handheld router with a guide for the base.

Or, a straight cutter can be mounted in the router table. Bits with a bearing can be used in a handheld router or in a table.

Last edited by cabinetman; 11-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I think the bearing bit would be easiest to deal with in this situation. This slot would be in the edge so that would make it very difficult to get right without the bearing bit I suspect.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
you can also get a slot cutter with bearing the same thickness as the wood biscuits (5/32" i think) and use biscuits. i did this for years before i popped for a dedicated biscuit cutter. honestly the router was just as fast. unless you had a router set-up you didn't want to tear down....
post #5 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

^ now that's neat to hear. For how infrequently I would need to do this that sure would be nice to have without taking up space.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
The one cabinetman showed is the best to use.

I used to plane down oak boards to the right thickness, and dice them up the right width so the grain was going parallel to flooring boards. Then I'd give them to the flooring guys along with the loan of the slot cutter when butting into my nosing (already installed and dadoed with that same slot cutter) on balconies and catwalks.

Makes for a nice job when sanding since the flooring and nosing are locked together.

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode