Making some small cabinet doors.... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

View pmaru77's Photo Album My Photos
Making some small cabinet doors....

I need to make or buy doors and drawer fronts for a bathroom vanity. The 2 doors are about 14"w x 25"h, and the 3 drawers are 10.5" w x 6.5" h. Without getting complicated, I'm thinking of using 3/4 x 2" maple for the four outside members and 1/2 ply inside. I can cut slots either with a router or my table saw, perfer the table saw though. So the real question comes down to this.....can I get away with pocket screwing it together (skipping making a real joint) and be done with it in a few days? I know a joint is prefered, but I need to be done with this project. Or is it time to bite the bullet and get cutters for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaru77 View Post
I need to make or buy doors and drawer fronts for a bathroom vanity. The 2 doors are about 14"w x 25"h, and the 3 drawers are 10.5" w x 6.5" h. Without getting complicated, I'm thinking of using 3/4 x 2" maple for the four outside members and 1/2 ply inside. I can cut slots either with a router or my table saw, perfer the table saw though. So the real question comes down to this.....can I get away with pocket screwing it together (skipping making a real joint) and be done with it in a few days? I know a joint is prefered, but I need to be done with this project. Or is it time to bite the bullet and get cutters for this?
You could just as easily make half lap joints on the doors. The drawer fronts are a bit small to do a R&S, IMO.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
You don't need new cutters. You could use your TS or router and make tongue and groove rails and stiles and make shaker style doors by using the 1/4 plywood panels.

The pocket holes will work but will be visible on the inside of the doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to make a test joint T & G on the table saw. If that goes well...........

What is a R & S ?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
What is a R & S ?
Rail and style.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #6 of 10 Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
This roll around shop box holds routers, chisels and bits. Has NO glue anywhere. It's all pocket hole, drawers included and is about 8 years old...maybe 10.

I thought about plugging these holes...but didn't!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bladeburner For This Useful Post:
CaptainMarvel (11-13-2013), pmaru77 (11-13-2013)
post #7 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

1/4" t n g

I can assume that making the tongue and groove match the ply thickness, thus being able to put grooves the total distance on verts? I will pick up some 1/4 and measure it and add about .010" clearance. I read somewhere where you do not glue the ply all around, but on one side only....due to expansion? Does that apply in San Diego climate.....inside?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
When using plywood, you don't need to worry much about movement. Plywood is inherently stable. For smaller doors, I'd glue the panel in. I know others wont glue, but I would.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I can assume that making the tongue and groove match the ply thickness, thus being able to put grooves the total distance on verts? I will pick up some 1/4 and measure it and add about .010" clearance. I read somewhere where you do not glue the ply all around, but on one side only....due to expansion? Does that apply in San Diego climate.....inside?
I always make my panels about 1/8th to 1/4 narrower than the rail length. Run dados down the edges, put tenons on the rails and glue it up. Fits all together perfectly as log as your careful. Just working on some window seats, shaker style panels just like my kitchen cabinets with VC Oak ply for the panels. Looks great and goes together fast.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Well, I started the two doors, and glued one of themlast night. But I forgot to put the notch(bevel) on the rails before assembly. I was planning on having a notched reveal instead of a smooth joint line, but now I don't think I can do that....unless I put a saw line there instead of a 45 deg.

edit: Oh fuggetit. I just checked out the door I assembled and it fits through the opening of the cabinet. I messed up the width. Starting all over.

Last edited by pmaru77; 11-15-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode