Kreg Stepped Drill Bit - what's special? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

View saulmarg's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg Stepped Drill Bit - what's special?

I recently bought the Kreg Jig Jr, but I no longer have the 3/8" stepped drill bit that comes with it. Where I stay, the bit is really expensive, more than I paid for the whole jig set. Is there anything special about the bit? Can I use another bit, if so what type?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
No, you need their bit. It is made to bite and cut at that angle and leaves a pilot hole for the screw.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
There are several here:
http://woodworking.rockler.com/searc...%20drill%20bit

If you have lost the bit, you should buy the kit for $20. This includes the mini guide, bit a and depth stop collar. The depth stop collar is a vital part of the Kreg system.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

View saulmarg's Photo Album My Photos
What about other pocket hole joining systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
No, you need their bit. It is made to bite and cut at that angle and leaves a pilot hole for the screw.
What do other pocket hole joining systems use? Aren't they more or less the same as the kreg system?
post #5 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
i bought a knockoff one at home depot for 4.95
post #6 of 14 Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulmarg View Post
What do other pocket hole joining systems use? Aren't they more or less the same as the kreg system?
General tools, at the least, is one other company that makes a pocket hole system using a stepped drill. My Home Depot used to carry their bits but I haven't seen any there for awhile. Could be I haven't really looked either. Marc Sommerfeld also has a pocket hole system similar to the Kreg system but I doubt would be any cheaper.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #7 of 14 Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
There's a flat part of the drill about 3/4" from the end of the bit that creates a flat section for the pan head screw to shoulder and pull the pieces together.

Learning more about tools everyday
post #8 of 14 Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
As far as the Kregg pocket hole drill bit, there isn't anything special about it as far as it being a pocket hole drill bit. You could use any other companies pocket hole drill bit as a replacement. Craftsman and Porter Cable make pocket hole jigs, and use the same bit. The problem is they are all in the same ball park as far as price goes. They range from $15 to $25 depending on where you decide to get it from.

Mike Darr
post #9 of 14 Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
@OP - when you get your bit troubles resolved, build one of these sleds and your troubles should be reduced significantly. Everything in one place. It works great for me. It hangs on the wall when not in use.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Attached Images

post #10 of 14 Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
@OP - when you get your bit troubles resolved, build one of these sleds and your troubles should be reduced significantly. Everything in one place. It works great for me. It hangs on the wall when not in use.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Mike,
Brilliant idea. I'm going to add the side pieces to mine.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrich For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (04-19-2013)
post #11 of 14 Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
@rich- I used a piece of 3/4 plywood scrap to mount everything on so it is portable. I clamp it to my work bench. When I am through, I hang it on the pegboard.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
Made something very similar, got tired of trying to keep boards from rocking on the kreg. As for storing the bit and jig itself, i just keep it in the box tucked away. I myself wouldn't see any reason you couldn't just a regular bit, you just wouldn't have the smaller tip which may allow some splitting?
post #13 of 14 Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Made something very similar, got tired of trying to keep boards from rocking on the kreg. As for storing the bit and jig itself, i just keep it in the box tucked away. I myself wouldn't see any reason you couldn't just a regular bit, you just wouldn't have the smaller tip which may allow some splitting?
I'm not sure what you mean by a regular bit. Most bits, i.e brad point or twist bit, will be too short to use in the Kreg jig. Not to mention you wont have the pilot hole to start the screw that is created by the proper stepped pocket hole bit. Also you wont have the flat bottom hole which is necessary to prevent the screw from crushing the wood and possibly passing through the outside board.

I suggest using the right tool for the job. I just don't see any advantage to taking a shortcut that could damage a project, or not give the proper results.

Mike Darr
post #14 of 14 Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM

View lilman's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for the lack of specification, twist bits. The cheap set I have is long enough to go up to 1 1/2". I didn't mean that this way was optimal or on the same performance level as the original bit. Would I substitute? No I wouldn't.

Tags
kreg, stepped drill bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode