kreg micro jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mystri
  • 2 Post By Ed'sGarage

post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
kreg micro jig

Made 2 purchases recently. ONe was the micro jig mentioned above, as I am getting ready to make some drawers for my shop and I thought I would use 1/2 sheet stock for the drawer before I put a false front on it.
Second purchases was a Kreg right angle vise grip. Seemed like a good investment, given what I'm about to do.

OK, the micro jig is supposed to work well with 1/2" to 1/2" stock. Their tear sheet suggested 1 inch pocket screws which I bought. But after drilling the 1/2 inch stock the 1 inch screws come right through the bottom of the mating piece. It works much better if you set the micro jig as if you were drilling into 5/8 inch stock, then the screw doesn't come through. Has anyone else had this problem and if so did you end up doing the same thing; i.e. setting the jig at 5/8 ?

Now the right angle vise grip. It occurs to me that you need be an octopus to use this thing and the adjustment for thickness is anything but precise. Anyone else having this problem ?

Just curious of other people's experiences with these.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2020, 06:04 PM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Did you have stop set correctly on the drill bit for 1/2" stock?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-26-2020, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

Yeh, I had it set at 1/2 inch, as prescribed. That's why I tried the 5/8 setting and it worked fine. I've read that at the 5/8 setting, there was insufficient bite from the screws into the mating piece, but I think there was more than sufficient thread into the mating piece for a good joint. I'm going to call Kreg on Monday morning and talk with their tech people. See what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-26-2020, 07:45 AM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
I have made drawers several times using pocket screws. I do no have the micro jig. I set my regular jig and drill bit for 1/2" material and used 1 inch screws and had no issues. My drawers were made with 1/2" baltic birch.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 AM

View Mystri's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Microjig with 3/4" #6 fine thread pan heads - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AKJ2G6...v_ov_lig_dp_it OR
Dave Sal likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2020, 12:53 PM

View Dave Sal's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased the Kreg micro jig last week in preparation for making two drawers for my kitchen cabinets using 1/2" birch plywood. The information that I read from the Kreg materials was to use 3/4" screws on 1/2" plywood.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 PM

View Nick2727's Photo Album My Photos
lower the speed of drill maybe? i've drove a few through by accident with it set high. Oh i also have the clamp, ive had no issues though.

Nick Johnston
Edmonton, AB, Canada

Last edited by Nick2727; 07-08-2020 at 11:57 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-09-2020, 10:49 PM

View Dave Sal's Photo Album My Photos
I attempted to make my two drawers today using 1/2" plywood and the Kreg Micro Jig. On two of the pocket holes, as soon as I drove the screws into the material I could tell that they were stripped, and assume that they went into a void in the plywood. I ended up drilling new pocket holes in different locations, but this experience is making me wonder if using pocket holes with 1/2" plywood is a good idea after all.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2020, 12:22 AM

View Nick2727's Photo Album My Photos
I have the regular sized jig. I've used only 3/4" and 2x4s is far. I'll be doing some 1/2" drawers this weekend. I'll let you know!

Nick Johnston
Edmonton, AB, Canada
post #10 of 10 Old 07-11-2020, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

I ended making the drawers with 3/4" sht stock. The 1/2 plywood seemed to have way to many voids to make this feasible. IMO: if you're set on using 1/2 inch, you'd probably be better off with a premium grade sheet stock like Baltic Birch, but unless you're getting paid for the drawers the cost of Baltic is a tough nut to swallow. Secondly with 1/2 stock, I don't think you can use any screws in excess of 3/4 inch. According to Kreg's website, 1 inch is also an alternative, but I don't see that working at all. Anyway with the 3/4 drawer stock, I used the standard Kreg jig and put the 1/2 inch jig back on the shelf for some unknown future use. It's not the first time, I've bought something in the shop and found that using it was more trouble than it was worth. My $ .02 !
Dave Sal and kiwi_outdoors like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode