Kitchen doors with "muntin bars" - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

View RichO's Photo Album My Photos
Kitchen doors with "muntin bars"

Hey all,

This is one kind of door I have never made:

How would you go about making the muntin bars? I would use half laps for the joints in the middle but when it comes to affixing the assembly to the actual door, how would you do it? All I can come up with is using silicone to hold it to the glass after the door is finished and glass is installed.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It would be easier just to glue the bars to the glass. The bars are so small it's difficult to make a joint with it. The first time I made doors like that I made it for individual panes of glass and the glass company charged a lot for all the little panes. I've also seen antiques that used a piece of 1/8" plywood the size of the glass and just cut out the holes. It fit in front of the glass and didn't have to be glued in.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

View RichO's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the reply. Kind of what I figured and that will work. Just wondered if there was a better way I wasn't thinking of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I made some similar to that on a built in for my basement. I routed the muntins (?) and a matching 1/2 profile for the inside edge of the door.

I made double miters on the door, and a mitered half lap where they cross. It was pretty fussy, but I think it turned out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151112_221144156_1451953649001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	205850  

Name:	IMG_20151112_221132205_HDR_1451953673844.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	205858  

Name:	IMG_20151112_221105677_1451953720817.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	205866  

Last edited by sanchez; 01-04-2016 at 07:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sanchez For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (01-04-2016), Toolman50 (01-04-2016)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichO View Post
How would you go about making the muntin bars? I would use half laps for the joints in the middle but when it comes to affixing the assembly to the actual door, how would you do it? All I can come up with is using silicone to hold it to the glass after the door is finished and glass is installed.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Silicone is a really bad idea. What happens if the glass breaks and you need to replace it for one thing? You want some of the glass retainer strip that fits into a groove you cut in the backside of the doors...

If your doors are really like the ones in your picture then you are lucky as it really does not get any easier than that. Everything is square and you don't really 'need' any sort of special half lap joints or funny miters to hold the mulls in place. Glue will work absolutely fine if your pieces 'fit' first.

To copy a door with mulls like in your picture - Everything can be cut on a table saw with relative ease. (I generally use a router with a slot cutter to cut the grove for the retainer strips but that is NOT really required - A Table Saw can do the same cuts just as well)

Seriously...

If you want some detailed pictures of the retainer strip that I am talking about for the glass and some pictures of the cuts that it requires - I can get you some tomorrow. Might help you better understand what I am talking about here... I aint at the shop right now and could not find any relevant pics on my phone...

3 or 4 pictures and I bet you stop thinking about silicone to hold it all together...

The picture you posted is about as 'easy' as glass doors get in my opinion.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
I made some similar to that on a built in for my basement. I routed the muntins (?) and a matching 1/2 profile for the inside edge of the door.

I made double miters on the door, and a mitered half lap where they cross. It was pretty fussy, but I think it turned out well.
For a complicated inside edge profile of a door that I was trying to match on the mulls - I would have done it (and do so) exactly as you have done in your picture.

Very nicely done work Sir.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode