Joint Suggestion - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

View MichaelM's Photo Album My Photos
Joint Suggestion

Howdy.

I am making cases for MacBooks & iPads out of 1/8" oak laminate & 3/4" mahogany & would appreciate suggestions on how to join them (photos below).

I have been just gluing them & have had no problems, but I just think there is a better way. I have tried mortise & a square dowel, but I always end up sanding through the top layer of the laminate after running it on the router. I prefer not to use screws. Also, feel free to criticize my clamping "setup" because I know it could also be improved.

This is my first post & am excited to get involved!
Name:  CIMG0019.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  30.7 KBName:  Photo on 2012-02-13 at 22.44.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  85.1 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

The pictures are a bit small to see exactly what you are referring to. Nothing wrong with just glue and clamps, and your clamping appears OK. Looks good.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with C'man. Pics are hard to see how your joining them. Other than that welcome to WWT.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
From what I can see and your description I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The plywood they’re making today has the finish veneer so thin you can sometimes see through it anyway. You might look into Purebond plywood and see if they carry a line of plywood that thin. Their finish veneer runs thicker. Unless you can get some better plywood I would refrain from sanding the plywood with an electric sander and hand sand only. As far as the clamping work you are doing. It looks fine. It probably would be easier to use spring clamps. At one time Home Depot was selling them for a buck each.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

View MichaelM's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the encouragement!
I am just making a 3 sided frame out of the 3/4" mahogany (my parents have several 6"x3/4"x20' boards that I found in the barn- score!) and gluing the laminate on top & bottom. I'll post more pics when I get more, if necessary.

Steve, I use spring clamps on the corners, but am always afraid they don't grip tight enough.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode