Joint spllit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Q

post #1 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

View Wooden Art's Photo Album My Photos
Joint spllit

I made a Hickory table about 8 months ago. It's a 5 panel table with breadboards on both ends. I put all the boards thru the joiner and everything came out good. I doweled all the boards together with 3/8" dowels, glued and clamped all joints for 24 hours, sanded and polyurethaned both sides. Bottom with 2 coats and top with 4 coats. It turned out great. I just noticed that one seam split. Not sure what caused it but it's there. I'm looking for the best way to close it back up and keep it closed. I was just thinking about cleaning out the joint, clean up any leftover scraps, pour some glue into the joint, clamp and maybe screw a piece of wood to the underside of the joint to hold it together.

Any other thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Joint2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	386109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Joint3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	560.4 KB
ID:	386111  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 09:44 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I had a joint separate like that on one of my early woodworking projects. Realized I was using too much clamp pressure and squeezing out too much glue.

If feasible I would want to resaw that joint into two sections and then rejoin. The problem with just cleaning and reglueing is that there will be glue left on the boards that will prevent the new glue from penetrating the wood.

George
post #3 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
This is the result of wood shrinkage combined with glue line failure. When pieces are brought inside, where the humidity is lower than the shop shrinkage will occur so this is my 1st suspicion. Gluing up panels is not the time to worry about glue squeeze out ;-)

But, at least it failed along the glue line, and you know it was tight at one point, so I would have high expectations you can close it.

Apply some clamp pressure and see if the gap will close. If it doesn't clean out the debris/dried glue first. If it closes, inject some epoxy glue and keep in clamp for 24-36 hours. You might even consider tinting the glue. A line of tape along the glue line will prevent glue from getting on the top..

If the gap doesn't close I'm afraid you'll have to fill it and live with it.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 10:00 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
W.A. - would you be opposed to putting in a few Butterfly/Bowtie patches ?
you could cut some out of thin veneer (or even brown paper) and place them
randomly on the splits just to see how you (and your family) like the idea.
Just a thought.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with GeorgeC. I have an old double pedestal oak desk that had a small gap between boards. Ran it through table saw and glued back together. It's still good after about 10 years.

Your issue might be getting the breadboard ends off.

Brian

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #6 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 04:09 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Did you do the breadboard ends so the top could expand and contract through them?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Some good thoughts. I don't want to remove the breadboards that will be a lot of work. I did make sure the breadboards were done the correct way to ensure movement. I'll try to clamp it to see if it closes up and see what happens then. I'll let you know what happen after that. I am working on a couple of projects right now so it will be a little before I get back to the forum.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
How did you attach the top to the base? That is another possible reason for splitting.
TobyC likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 08:33 AM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
How did you attach the top to the base? That is another possible reason for splitting.
My thoughts as well. Is there something underneath that is attached all the way across that won't allow wood movement? Show us what's under the split area please.

Or, did you sit a laptop there and it got hot? Heat induced drying and shrinking in the center of the top will do that.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

The base of the table runs perpendicular to the split. Screws hold the top to the base about 14" from the end of the table. It just seems odd that it happened about 8 months after it was finished. No laptop.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Shrinkage ,bad joint glue failure, etc. It could be anything.

Squeezed too much glue out. How many times has that been discussed. ..maybe too little was used.

I have a desk down stairs where the board separated all the way down .. reason? Bread board ends.

I have had really good results with bread board ends , just got caught on this project...

Last edited by Rebelwork; 03-28-2020 at 08:54 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 08:58 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Art View Post
The base of the table runs perpendicular to the split. Screws hold the top to the base about 14" from the end of the table. It just seems odd that it happened about 8 months after it was finished. No laptop.

It isn’t odd that it split during the winter, consider you built it during the summer months when the humidity was higher. That the way it works. Summer, the wood swells, winter, it dries out. That is why you need to attach the top in a way that allows the wood to move. Screwing the top to the base will not allow that to happen.

The split will close this summer if you leave it alone, although that doesn’t help to glue it back together. Unscrew the top from the base and attach it the right way. It seems strange that you would research breadboard ends and attach them in a manner that would allow for seasonal changes, but not attach the top to the base to allow for the same.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Personally. I would leave it. It's part of the patina. It' s part of the character. It reminds me of I don't have full control in this life! GRIN! Wood movement can be unpredictable.

It still looks great!
post #14 of 15 Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
It's possible that if the boards were forced closed because of the dowels, and the dowels were not PERFECTLY aligned, the pressure from this misalignment might have been from the dowels fighting back.
With modern adhesives, there is absolutely no need for dowels or biscuits. As for alignment, I can do a much quicker and better job without the aid of them.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #15 of 15 Old 05-11-2020, 07:55 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Things to try ....

See if the gap will close up when you apply moderate clamping pressure. Look underneath to see if the gap goes from top to bottom.
Shine a bright light from underneath and look down from the top to see how open it is and where it is open. Clamp it shut if possible and see how much light you can see from the top. All this is in preparation for this:
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I think the gel would be best^

OR this:
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...fessional.html

Loosen all the screws underneath before clamping to allow free movement of the pieces. If you used slotted holes on the apron check to see if they have enough travel. If you used "Z" clips, just loosen the screws. Then mask off the gap with painter's tape and flow the S/G into the gap, but have your clamps already in place, but not tightened, because you will need to work quickly. You could work from one end, flowing the S/G in and tightening as you go. Once the

gap is closed, and the glue has had time to cure, remove the clamps slowly and see if the "repair" was successful.... hopefully it was.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-11-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode