joining two heavy round pole-like pieces of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

View holdenmt's Photo Album My Photos
joining two heavy round pole-like pieces of wood

I am creating an indoor tree for my parrots, the larger of which weighs about two pounds. To do this, I need to join branches of really hard wood, like manzanita, end to end. I've tried to use double-ended screws but this doesnt work at all, so I thought that perhaps some kind of joinery. Do I use some sort of dowel - or something else? Thank you so much - Maria
The Following User Says Thank You to holdenmt For This Useful Post:
mosaic man (11-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenmt View Post
I am creating an indoor tree for my parrots, the larger of which weighs about two pounds. To do this, I need to join branches of really hard wood, like manzanita, end to end. I've tried to use double-ended screws but this doesnt work at all, so I thought that perhaps some kind of joinery. Do I use some sort of dowel - or something else? Thank you so much - Maria

I would use a scarf joint with glue and clamps.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
mickit (11-22-2011)
post #3 of 11 Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
This is what we used to make a pair of oars. reinforced with copper nails riveted over. (was 1949).
johnep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I thing that either a scarf joint or dowels would work. The proglem I see is cutting both surfaces the same or drilling a hole in the same location.

Are you really talking tree branches that you are joining together? Or are you joining milled lumber?

George
post #5 of 11 Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

joining two branches

Yes, I am talking about joining manzanita branches, not lumber. By the way, any recommendations on drill bits? This wood is so hard that I quickly go thru bits... Thank you!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=holdenmt;264489]I am creating an indoor tree for my parrots, the larger of which weighs about two pounds. To do this, I need to join branches of really hard wood, like manzanita, end to end. I've tried to use double-ended screws but this doesnt work at all, so I thought that perhaps some kind of joinery. Do I use some sort of dowel - or something else? Thank you so much - Maria[/QUOTE

These should work, it's what they are made for.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ocStoreNum=244
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I've been using, those double-threaded screws, but the manzanita is so hard that I burn out drill bits AND it is almost impossible to twist the screw into the wood. Is there a special bit I should be using?
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenmt View Post
Yes, that's what I've been using, those double-threaded screws, but the manzanita is so hard that I burn out drill bits AND it is almost impossible to twist the screw into the wood. Is there a special bit I should be using?
A high speed bit for drilling in steel is all you need, and lubricate the screw before you thread it in,parrafin should work as the lubricant ,or wax may work as well, you will probably have to drill a larger hole for the screw than you normally would because the wood is so hard, large enough so the threads will bite into the wood.

Last edited by Canarywood; 11-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
There are high speed METAL drilling bits and then there are GOOD high speed metal drilling bits. Be sure to get a good bit. These are not cheap. I would use an oil as the lubricant as you drill. As this is going to be used for your parrot be sure that it is a vegetable oil or some other non-toxic.

Oil is typically used in metal drilling. The oil does not just lubricate, but probably it's most important function is to carry away heat.

A two pound parrot is rather large. What king of bird is it?

George
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
drill size

The drill should be the same size as the body of the screw, not the threads, or just a fraction larger. If you want to cool the bit just dip it into a container of water as you go. I would first use a 1/8" pilot and then follow with the 1/4" size... only guessing on that size, but if I recall that's a close size for threading metal so it should work for wood.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use any type of lubricant when drilling wood. My practice is to drill as dry as possible. Brad point bits work very well. I size the hole for screw threads to be the diameter of the shank of the screw (from gullet to gullet), IOW...in between the threads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode