Joining quartersawn to flatsawn - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

View ppg677's Photo Album My Photos
Joining quartersawn to flatsawn

I'm making drawers out of (flatsawn) maple sides and back. I'm half-blind dovetailing to the drawer fronts.

I'd like to use quartersawn oak as the drawer front. But the maple will expand more than the quartersawn oak. I calculated up to a 1/32" difference over the 7" width of the drawer front.

Should I abort and use flatsawn oak?

I don't want my dovetail pins to crack.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You will be alright. I don't believe I've ever seen a drawer the sides and front were the same material.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You will be alright. I don't believe I've ever seen a drawer the sides and front were the same material.
Thanks. I was more concerned about the flat vs. quarter sawn rather than the oak vs. maple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Shouldn't matter because....

Wood shrinks and expands across it's width as you know, and the difference between the two species should be negligible. I don't know that for a fact, but you could search for the rates and see if they are radically different, but I doubt it. :smile3:

This article covers that issue:
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/wmov.html

Quote:
Movement across the grain is greatly influenced by how a board was sawn. On average flat sawn hardwood will shrink 8% from the Fiber Saturation Point to oven dry while quarter sawn hardwood will shrink only 4%. There are tables for tangential and radial shrinkage by species but for most applications knowing that quarter sawn lumber moves only half as much as flat sawn is sufficient.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-09-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Right, the Maple will move 1/16" over the 7" width and the quarter sawn oak will move 1/32" . Since they join, I hope the pressure caused by the difference in movement doesn't crack the dovetails...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
shrinkage during drying

What it shrinks during the drying process may not be the same ratio as after it's dried...I donno? This is way over my head, so maybe someone who has that specific knowledge will respond. :smile3: Shrinkage and movementrare also two different animals so ... there we are.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2016, 02:09 AM

View Fallbrook hoby's Photo Album My Photos
I always try to use quarter sawn or rift sawn material for drawer sides. Seems to me flat sawn sides would want to move a lot causing potential binding. Depending on your tolerances. I don't know this for a fact but it is my opinion (trying to be helpful)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode