Joining cut down 2x4's with tongue and groove/ Vaneer Glue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
civ

View civ's Photo Album My Photos
Joining cut down 2x4's with tongue and groove/ Vaneer Glue

Im cutting down regular 2x4's to a final dimension of 1.25" x 3" to be joined end to end to create surfaces. I want to join them with tongue and grooves. My question to everyone here, which do you think is stronger? 2 - 5/16 tongue and grooves at 5/16" deep or 1 - 1/2" at 1/2" deep? I am using an older craftsman table saw that i have ever so nearly set up to make pefect cuts. The jig i made to cut the tongues and grooves is kind of not perfect. Pretty good but not perfect. This is leaving me with little gaps etc in the joint. Everything need to fit together perfectly. As one big piece. I thinking it would be a lot easier to do 1 tongue and groove but 2 tongues and grooves seems stronger. Ultimately i need to master a jig to cut multiple tongues and grooves. I dont like being defeated so i might go with 2 and 2. But i wanted to know which you guys thought was stronger?

Also,... whats the best type of glue for creating veneer structures? I made a jig that allows me to cut perfect super thin shims using the table saw with ease. Kind of like a meat slicer. No constantly having to adjust a fence etc. So i cut a ton of these shims because they are so flexible. I want to bend them into crazy shapes and them veneer other pieces to the last effectively building up to a desired shape. I need a glue thats strong but applies easily and evenly. Like with a brush or something. Regular wood glue is thick as hell and hard to coat evenly. Anything out there like what im talking about?
The Following User Says Thank You to civ For This Useful Post:
akunar (05-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM

View michelle's Photo Album My Photos
Since you say, your joints are not perfect & there is slack..and this seems harder than it might need to be, I'm going to suggest a new approach. What if you made a groove in each piece, then cut a long "loose tenon"--loose tongue" You said you can make veneer well..so this would be a snap for you. Enjoy your build, no matter what choice you make.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
Since you say, your joints are not perfect & there is slack..and this seems harder than it might need to be, I'm going to suggest a new approach. What if you made a groove in each piece, then cut a long "loose tenon"--loose tongue" You said you can make veneer well..so this would be a snap for you. Enjoy your build, no matter what choice you make.
"Nailed it!"

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
For joining stock end to end it is tough to beat half laps. You do need to cut the individual pieces longer to accommodate them though. or, use more pieces..

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
First time I read this I assumed you were joining the boards end to end to make a longer board, then rereading it appeared that they were edge to edge to make a wide panel, can you elaborate?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
civ

Sorry guys. Yes im making large sufaces for a desk and a kitchen table. So edge to edge. I think i will have to post some pics. So you can see where im at right now. I think i know what i have to do. Was just wondering what you thought was stronger when it came to tongue and groove size. Also, i posted a video of myself cutting the super thing veneer strips if you guys want to check it out. Its cool.

http://youtu.be/dENCzWmdILk
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience, occupation, or if retired…from what, or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

For an edge to edge gluing, just joint the mating edges to be flat and 90° to the faces. Use glue, clamps and cauls (to keep the boards flat to each other).

post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 07:54 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by civ View Post
Sorry guys. Yes im making large sufaces for a desk and a kitchen table. So edge to edge. I think i will have to post some pics. So you can see where im at right now. I think i know what i have to do. Was just wondering what you thought was stronger when it came to tongue and groove size. Also, i posted a video of myself cutting the super thing veneer strips if you guys want to check it out. Its cool.
Two things:
1) Won't find my fingers anywhere near the blade like you show in your video. That's what push sticks are for. Saves on fingers.

2) - What he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
For an edge to edge gluing, just joint the mating edges to be flat and 90° to the faces. Use glue, clamps and cauls (to keep the boards flat to each other).
]

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 07:55 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to cut veneer strips like that you need a wider board, a push stick, a shirt and some kind of guard over the blade. You have your hands way too close to the blade.

You can't really achieve any strength gluing wood together end to end using a tongue and groove. You would need the equipment to finger joint and even then I consider it sub-standard. I don't buy any 2x4's or molding which has been finger jointed. The joints often fail or at least show the seams from wood movement. If you are going to do it I would make single tenons 1/2 thick and as long as you can make them.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you are going to cut veneer strips like that you need a wider board, a push stick, a shirt and some kind of guard over the blade. You have your hands way too close to the blade.

You can't really achieve any strength gluing wood together end to end using a tongue and groove. You would need the equipment to finger joint and even then I consider it sub-standard. I don't buy any 2x4's or molding which has been finger jointed. The joints often fail or at least show the seams from wood movement. If you are going to do it I would make single tenons 1/2 thick and as long as you can make them.
It's not an end to end. It's edges to edges.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
civ

Thanks guys. Yes edges to edges. Not end to end. Anyways,... Yes I get my fingers close to the blade. I am comfortable doing that. It's not for everyone. When I get real close I use pushing sticks. The smallest remaining piece I had while cutting veneer strips was .129". Yes I used a pushing stick for that. I have been working with machines like this for a long time. A long time. Never once have I been cut at all. I am a bit dangerous with some of the thing I do but I am very thorough and everything is well thought out. So far so good. I don't recommend what I do so dont do what I do. Anyways. Looking at a test piece I have made,... the tongue and grooves are slightly off angle. I need a better jig so everything is EXACTLY 90 degrees.

Anyone have any suggestions for an easy to apply and spread evenly type glue for making veneer structures using strips?2 Regular wood glue is a pain for applying evenly without it drying and also adding to much. I need something a bit thinner and can be applied with a some kind of small brush. In a perfect world.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
No Longer Here

View Miller Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
wood glue thinned with a bit of water?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
civ

You can do that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode