Join a round to a flat ...? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wetstuff
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083

post #1 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

View Wetstuff's Photo Album My Photos
Join a round to a flat ...?

It's complicated, but I make an endcap for a carbon tube that connects to a windwing. The white piece is the connection to the wing. I have a small lathe to make the end connectors for the tube. There is a small white item in the photo - it was easy to simply drive a long hole bit down the center of one large piece and cut in half to make two cradles. But, now that the white piece is longer by necessity, I cannot make the cradle.

I thought - Hell, just flatten the wood end piece. Not so easy - once off the lathe. 'Function' could live with flat-to-round, as there is no real load, and a SS screw all the way thru to a hidden nut is quite secure, but it looks like I don't know what I am doing, or lack the proper tools for the job. Both the last bits are mostly true.

I have a series of inexpensive tools and not much experience. I have made protective (sewn) products for aircraft for ~40yrs, but this is outside my skill set. Perhaps there is an easy way? I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbon1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	389781  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 05:48 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
what is the white cradle made of ?
how many do you have to make ?
could the white piece be permanently attached to the round peg ?
and make it all one solid piece.
are you asking how to make a groove in the white part to fit the round dowel ?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-20-2020 at 06:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 07:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You have shown two different designs ...

The smaller white piece, material as yet unknown, has a round recess in one side to attach to the wood dowel. That would work well and "trap" the wood dowel securely.

The other design, the longer "T" shaped white piece is flat and will not securely attach to the round dowel. so, what to do?

You have two choices:
1. Make a similar recess as on the small piece by sanding with a sanding sleeve. You can get specific size sanding sleeves or make one from a broom stick or slotted tube.

2. Make a flat on the round dowel with a hand plane and sandpaper, BUT two flats will not have a "lock" type fit, they can still rotate. The only thing securing them is the tension from the single screw. Two screws would be better.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-20-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 PM

I was making the drawing of making the flat on the dowel
while WnT was posting. . . . great minds ?
that is, IF the two don't have to rotate around each other.
a photo of your wind-wing in flight would be nice to see.

Join a round to a flat ...?-carbon1.jpg

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-20-2020 at 08:52 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 08:07 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a table saw it may be possible to cut a cove in the white part, it is a bit tricky so I would cut longer sections of the material and then cut the profile of the individual parts.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Things, John, and Frank... The white is PVC Brick Molding. Like my little turned ends for the carbon tube, these T-shapes could likely be 'printed', but the printing costs would exceed the value of the item. Cutting a cove would be a wonderful skill to learn, but at my age it's tough to add single-use skills. Creating a 1" sanding drum for the lathe might be a good idea...

BUT - John's two screws do a twofer. The wedgie portion goes between two webbing handles - then I use Velcro One-Wrap to lock this piece in place. By eliminating the center screw I am able to secure both the tube end and the two Velcro wraps. Thanks, John. Sometimes the obvious is 'not so' when you are focused on a cosmetic detail like a mismatch of round and flat.

The windwing is a simple surface-level replacement for a kite, as used in kitesurfing. It takes a sport that requires a lot of space and assistance and simplifies it along with a huge increase in safety. I had to quit kites after about 13yrs as my brain was not keeping up with the inputs. The windwing uses simple handles. Only one mfgr. uses a bar like on a windsurfer. My little mod will allow me to use a bar. I'll follow up with more pics when the weather breaks. Thanks, again.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carbon12.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	389841  

Name:	Carbon11.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	389843  

post #7 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Got it... Thanks, John. A simple 'Binder Post'. I am not 1000% happy with Aluminum, but there's no reason it would ever have to come apart. Because of the short screw section, I will probably put a dab of glue or thread-locker on it. Thanks again, all, for the help.

Jim

(I just need to make a simple jig to make sure everything aligns.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carbon - 1 (2).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	389947  

John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 12:20 PM

looks good, Jim.
there are brass posts like that ~ called "Chicago Screws".
(yeah, weird name, I know).
I buy the small ones for leather work from China on E-Bay.
the quality and fit are very good, shipping is dependant on the
environmental conditions. (weather, virus, etc)
you would have to google it to find what you need and the quantity.
(in Florida, the wind surfers are all over the saltwater flats. so any
aluminum fasteners would have a very short life).

Join a round to a flat ...?-brass-posts.jpg

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
My son started with a paragliding chute. Then added an engine on his back. Now has a simple microlight with a rigid wing which I believe is similar to yours and basically is a suspended chair with an engine on the back.
I'm afraid we call it "The Death Machine", but he insists much safer than paragliding.
johnep
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Can you cut the flat into the dowel prior to turning it between centers on your lathe? It would end up with a flat on one side and a radius on the other... and still allow you to turn the cylinder on the other 1/2 end of the peg.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

JohnS, I don't disagree. If this item works—and I can get someone to pay for it—I'll switch to a rivet or SS screw.

JohnE, It's usually the Mom that gets the..."It's safe!" I bought a paraglider to play with on the local dunes, luckily for me, the dunes were not high enough to go beyond dragging my toes. Motorized would be even scarier. The engines they use would scare me the most ..' better maybe if they were electric. Besides who wants to anticipate a faceplant with 40lbs of metal on your back?

It's funny Mercer, sometimes the obvious is impossible to see. I guess the only thing I can envision; I would need a damn steady tool hand. This round-to-flat with two attachment points is perfect - except to my eye.

Cheers - guys. Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode