Jet Dovetail - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

View plomanto's Photo Album My Photos
Jet Dovetail

Impulse buying got the best of me today. I have been wanting a dovetail jig. I had to buy some equipment for work today and I was looking at the jig, the salesman told me if I wanted it I could have it at half price. I have it at home now.
Any comments on the Jet jig?

Thank you
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Our group just purchased a Leigh, They are still working it out. Probably by Xmas I will be able to give you a report. It is a stiff learning curve.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM

View Knot Home's Photo Album My Photos
Jet Dovetail Jig

There's a local store (Performance Tool, Pontiac, MI) selling the Jet Jig for $29.95, and I couldn't resist, since I was in there to price jigs. It looks to be about the same (or maybe identical to) the jigs from General, Harbor freight, Rockler, and others.

It took me a bit to get it set up to cut a decent dovetail, but I'm about there. And this is from someone who never useed a dovetail jig before. I have used my router quite a bit though.

The instructions weren't the best, but after about a dozen tries I got it. One thing they got wrong (or I don't understand) is the 7/8" measurement of the cutter below the base. Heck, a 1/2" cutter won't even come close to cutting anything at that depth. It's much less. Also, don't miss the fact that you need to use a 7/16" guide bushing.

Another problem with the instructions is that it doesn't mention anything about setting up both sides (you'll need to in order to make a complete box) untill the end. Set both sides at the same time, because you have to take some parts off to do this.

I've only made a practice drawer with it (in pine), but it came out pretty nice. Tomorrow I'll give it a go with some scrap oak and if all goes well, some maple and cherry for the project I'm working on.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 AM

View james103's Photo Album My Photos
Impulse buying got the best of me today. I have been wanting a dovetail jig. I had to buy some equipment for work today and I was looking at the jig, the salesman told me if I wanted it I could have it at half price. I have it at home now.
Any comments on the Jet jig?

Join NS0-156 dumps web designing course to learn the effective use of photoshop and become expert using IBM design guides and University of Oxford video tutorials written by experts. for more information to visit braindump for more details to visit Youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode