Irwin vs. Bessey Parallel Clamps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

View BAD WOLF's Photo Album My Photos
Irwin vs. Bessey Parallel Clamps

I am looking to add some parallel clamps to my arsenal all of my f style clamps are from Harbor Freight, and they work fine for what I need them for. But they don't clamp like the parallel clamps and right now I am looking at the Irwin and Bessey clamps. The Irwin are cheaper in price but feel just as sturdy as the Bessey which cost more. I like the quick release feature on the Irwin clamps not sure if that's a issue or not later on. I know some will say quality costs more but that's not always true in some cases.

So what are yalls opinions or thoughts on this is it really worth paying the extra $$$ for Bessey clamps when the Irwin ones will do the job just as well and save a few bucks in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Neither....buy Jorgensen cabinet master clamps!!! Good price, usa made (pretty sure), and top notch quality. Irwin vs. Bessey Parallel Clamps-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1431650923.967108.jpg

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You really just need to look at what your future projects may be and buy as needed. I've bought the K body clamps and there okay but I only use them for dovetail drawers, etc. As ryan50hrl stated the Jorgensen Cabinet clamps which are easily found at HD. I'll probably pick up a few overtime. Right now I'm buying a lot of Jorgensen Gear clamps which are nice but I use them daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Sawdust Creator

Home Depot stopped carrying jorgensons. Mills fleet farm and menards carry them though.

post #5 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Home Depot stopped carrying jorgensons. Mills fleet farm and menards carry them though.
Must be individual stores. The ones here in blue springs and Lees Summit Missouri are loaded with Jorgensen.. They don't carry much on Bessey though. They look to be getting bigger on the Dewalt clamps
post #6 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 PM
Sawdust Creator

They just recently got out of the Jorgensen here....went to Irwin for a bit and now Bessey

post #7 of 23 Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah they have a lot of Bessey in store and Dewalt. But you can still buy a few Jorgensens online i just checked and they were the same price as the Besseys. Rocker has a 4pc set of Irwins on sale http://www.rockler.com/irwin-4-piece-parallel-clamp-set

this is what Home Depot has for the Jorgensens ones
http://www.homedepot.com/s/Jorgensen...0clamps?NCNI-5

Bessey at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/s/bessey%25...0clamps?NCNI-5
post #8 of 23 Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

SO what makes the Jorgensens ones better than Bessey or Irwins. I understand a Audi is better than a KIA but I can see the difference in quality and reason for one over the other. But what makes them better than others.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Bessey's better. The jets are garbage.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM

It's really just preference in clamps. When I hear "garbage" I honestly take your word for it but without comment I'll still have to check them out for myself
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
fire65 (05-17-2015)
post #11 of 23 Old 05-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Sawdust Creator

The Jets still clamp wood, but they are far harder to use. I prefer the smooth bars of the jorgensens over the bessey clamps.

In the end, all 4 brands clamp wood.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Irwin vs. Bessey Parallel Clamps

The jets still clamp wood, but cost more than the vastly better Bessey's. The jets head leans inward by about 1/8 inch plus many other downfalls.

Last edited by hwebb99; 05-17-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 PM

View Barn owl's Photo Album My Photos
I asked the same questions a few years ago and the answers I got were that Bessey is the only thing going. I bought some and soon began asking myself why did I listen to people. I hate em. I bought Jorgensens and have never looked back. The red ones stay on the wall and only come off when I absolutely need them.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Well I am on a budget and as much as I'd like to buy what's the best well I might just have to buy what I can. That's why I was asking about the Irwins because for $120 I get 4 clamps 2 50" & 2 24" but guess no one is using the Irwins or recommend them. So might have to save a little more and get the Jorgensens.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD WOLF View Post
Well I am on a budget and as much as I'd like to buy what's the best well I might just have to buy what I can. That's why I was asking about the Irwins because for $120 I get 4 clamps 2 50" & 2 24" but guess no one is using the Irwins or recommend them. So might have to save a little more and get the Jorgensens.

I looked at the irwins when they came out and I didn't care for them. Do you live near a menards?? Their price on the jorgensens is usually pretty good.

post #16 of 23 Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no never heard of Menards. I'm in San Antonio, TX
post #17 of 23 Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 AM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Cripe Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD WOLF View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no never heard of Menards. I'm in San Antonio, TX
Try this web site: https://www.cripedistributing.com/ca...cabinet+master

I have ordered many Jorgensen Cabinet Masters, 37XX Standard Duty and 37XX Heavy Duty clamps from them. The inventory comes and goes, so if you see specific clamps that you want, order them quickly, because they might disappear next week.

It is my understanding that a lot of the Jorgensen clamps that Cripe Distributing sells, were from Home Depot (HD) stores. When HD dropped the Jorgensen brand, Cripe got them. Some customers have posted that some of their clamps had paint chips. My clamps have always looked brand new.

Also, I am very satisfied with Cripe Distributing customer service. A couple of times they have credited my account because the actual shipping cost was lower than their shopping cart calculated. You can also call them and they will give you an accurate shipping rate.

I also have Jet parallel clamps and they are the last clamps to be used in my shop. The Jorgensen Cabinet masters get used the most because they are a much better clamp. My biggest reason for not using the Jet parallel clamps is the lever that locks the head in place has to be held, while you are screwing the clamp tight. The Jorgensens can be clamped using one hand after the clamp is positioned.

I would suggest that you search this forum using the text "Jorgensen Cabinet Master". You will find a lot of threads on the subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClampRack_002.jpg
Views:	2046
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	161305  

post #18 of 23 Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

OK well checked out that site and yes those were great prices but shipping was a nice chunk. It's a couple bucks cheaper going thru Home Depot so I'll just get them there. But I'll still keep an eye out for some good deals on that site.

But so now that that's settled and Jorgensen wins that catagory what are yalls opinions on F Style clamps. All of mine currently are from Harbor Freight, I know they aren't the best but they got the job done and now I'm ready to upgrade. So does Jorgensen win this catagory as well or does Bessey make a comeback. Right now if I replace all of mine with Bessey I can get the exact same amount and save $50. Woodcraft is having a sale at the end of the month. I've been looking at the Jorgensen ones as well which aren't much more in price. Now I do have 12 4" Bessey clamps I picked up when HD had a $2.99 sale so it would be nice to have all matching F style clamps but I open to try others.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 AM

You really just have to check them out personally. There's light,heavy, depth and length not to mention handle grips to look at. Sometimes a great price is for similar but different size of clamp.

Cost the same,but not the same...
Attached Images

post #20 of 23 Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Sawdust Creator

Not only that, but jorgenson has 3 lines of f style clamps. Light, standard and heavy duty. I have 14 of the heavy duties and they're great!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode