Invest in Bandsaw or Joiner or Both? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

View MonkandSons's Photo Album My Photos
Invest in Bandsaw or Joiner or Both?

Hello Everyone,

Gotta a purchase predicament I'd like some advice on. I'm currently a small custom starting to focus on tables and benches from reclaimed lumber.

My shop is missing both a bandsaw and joiner and I've gotta a budget of $1000 to work with.

I was originally planning on finding a good used version of both, but I am considering focusing the money on just one piece in order to get something more substantial.

I know $1000 isn't that much but I need to move beyond my Dewalt jig and hand planer in order to produce more/better tables. So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM

View brown down's Photo Album My Photos
if you own hand planes than i would go with the bandsaw. my bandsaw is for what i do my go too machine. i paid around 1000$ for my 14 in rikon. i have a small 4 in jointer and also a 6 inch. they def do come in handy tho! see if you can find something on craigslist
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I guess I've just learned to survived without a bandsaw but they do seem versatile workhorses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
If you are in a business format I'd get the jointer. It's going to provide you speed that handplanes can't match. If you are doing this as a hobby I'd go with the bandsaw for it's versatility. If you can wait you might be able to look for used and swing both. With reclaimed woods the jointer is really going to be a timesaver for bringing it back to square though.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw!

A small jointer, 4" or 6", typically will straighten an edge or flatten a surface. There are many other ways to straighten an edge...table saw, router with a guide, router table and handplane.

Flattening a surface is best done with a jointer, but a handplane can also be used.

Now why a bandsaw? A properly set up bandsaw, with a good resaw blade will slice as little as 1/16" off one surface, and when backed by a flat board against the fence can be used to true and flatten a board up to 8" or 10" wide. Then with minor planing or sanding to remove the saw marks, you now have a smooth board. It's like a straightening jig.
I've never had to do this because I have several jointers, but it never ceases to amaze me when I resaw a thin slice off and wide board perfectly true.

The bandsaw is a greatly under estimated and versatile machine. It's best for ripping thick stock with no kickback, and by tilting the table 7 degrees in either direction you can make dovetail joints. Of course it's the only machine that will cut curves of all radii in most materials. Resawing small logs is possible with a sled, which I have used to get great spalted maple from logs found along the roadside. I should admit also I have 4 bandsaws of various capacities from 10" to 18".
Each has it's own application. I got a very capable used 14" Craftsman from Craig's List for $250.00, so don't assume new is the only way to go. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-20-2012 at 10:06 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM
I hate tools

View cocheseuga's Photo Album My Photos
Both, if you can. Of course it's easy to spend another person's money, but it can easily be done for $1000, and get two good machines new.

Used? Completely different ballgame. You might have to be patient, and willing to drive 100 miles at a moments notice, but you can get a lot for $1000.

My bandsaw was bought new from HF with a 20% coupon for about $310 after taxes. That also got me a three year warranty. I threw a Powermatic riser block on it for $50 I got at the wood show. It's basically a Grizzly or Jet with customer QC. Mine has been fantastic, fit and finish a B+.

I got a mid-90s Craftsman 6-1/8 jointer off of CL last year for $200 with a mobile base included. I looked for almost a year, but when the right one came along I was ready.

That's about half of your budget, so yes it can certainly be done.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Great suggestions! I do think a joiner is more urgent for me for making table tops, but I never knew you could do all those things with a bandsaw! I always thought 'curves' .

Will play the Craigslist waiting game and pounce like a lion at the first good tools I see. Thanks again
post #8 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM

View TylerJones's Photo Album My Photos
I love my bandsaw, but I would go with a jointer. I got a 12" parallelogram for 1000 from a shop going out of business. Its def. my workhorse.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
No Longer Here

View Benny Blanco's Photo Album My Photos
I am in the same situation, both would be nice to have.
My current problem on the jointer, is 6" or 8", I decided to go with 8", after all the hand planing in the last year, my biceps can deal with getting an 8" in my basement.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 AM

View Shavings's Photo Album My Photos
A good 14-16" bandsaw is very versatile. When I first started woodworking in the mid 80's it was the first power tool/saw in my shop. (actually it was a 8" bench top) I went 6 years before I bought a table saw.
The Rikon 14" bandsaw is an excellent choice for reasonable jing.
You can always set up your router table to do edge joining. I did it for years before I had the money to buy a joiner.
Maybe pick up a good used 6" joiner on CL. for little money.
Just my 2 cents!

R..
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 PM

View JDFisher's Photo Album My Photos
You might go check out the Grizzly website, they had some pretty good deals going on there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode