Instead of M&T joints for breadboards.... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

View mfurey14's Photo Album My Photos
Instead of M&T joints for breadboards....

Not that M&T joints are bad (I love them), they're just very time consuming even with a jig. For attaching a breadboard end to a table top for a typical 4 legged table with aprons I was thinking of an alternative and wanted to get everyone's opinion. What if I just attached the breadboard with one biscuit in the center and just glued a small amount in the middle and just left the outside edges completely free? I would then just screw into the breadboard with pocket holes from inside the apron. Essentially the apron would provide the support for the breadboard and there would be nothing attaching it to the table except right in the middle so the wood can expand and contract. Do you think this would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What you would have to do to make that work is to more or less put a second skirt recessed back on the ends so you could mount the table top itself with table top clips before the breadboard end. Still I don't think it would be near as good as doing the breadboard end with the mortise and tenon.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha....I'm going to give that a try. It will save me a lot of time, plus I'm getting better at making the M&T joints, however it's still not perfect. At least this way I can do it quicker, it'll look the same but better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I've be leery of just the one biscuit, that doesn't seem like a lot of support to me. If you don't want the work associated with a m&t, have you considered doweling it? One tight fitting dowel glued in the center and several loosed holes towards the edges should work fairly well

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I have not considered doweling it. The other thing I was thinking of doing was to put 2 more biscuits on both sides for a total of 4 (not including the one in the center), gluing them on just the table side and just make the slots for them longer so the table can expand and contract. I'm not really concerned with support, the apron underneath the table will support the breadboard. If it's an extra wide breadboard I'll just put another support behind the apron. But I will look into doweling and see how that can work out.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
My apologize, I hadn't seen where you said there's be an apron under the breadboard. Personally though, I'd still be worried about the breadboard getting yanked off if you used a biscuit. Im also kindve paranoid and tend to overbuild wherever possible, so make of that what you will

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 08:09 PM

View Barn owl's Photo Album My Photos
I do breadboards with large dominos, but I know not everybody has one. Personally, I'd stick with the old fashioned way of M&T if you don't have a domino.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 PM
EdS

View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
If a M&T joint is something you don't want to tackle for whatever reason, loose tenons might be easier and still get the job done. Use a router with an edge guide for the mortise, cut the mortise a little long in the horizontal direction, but very tight on the vertical. That would give you a tight fit with the top and still allow for horizontal movement of the top. Cut the tenons on the table saw and round them over with the router or router table.

Tags
breadboard end, breadboards, joinery, mortise and tenon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode