I need to cut a 7/8" deep rabbet joint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

View WVHick's Photo Album My Photos
I need to cut a 7/8" deep rabbet joint

I am new to woodworking and have recently purchased a Bosch router as one of my first investments. I am building an 18" home theater subwoofer and bought a well known (in home theatre) box kit that I glued up, sealed, sanded, and painted the other night and now I am ready to mount the driver.

I have now decided that I want to flush mount the subwoofer, and the current cutout is a 16.75" diameter hole. In order to flush mount the driver, I need an 18.5" cutout. So I need a bearing guided rabbeting bit that will cut a 7/8" deep rabbet but I can't find any. Any ideas? The max I can find is 3/4".

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 01:43 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I need to cut a 7/8" deep rabbet joint

I don't think a rabbiting bit will work because there will be nothing for the bearing to ride on. I would make a template, and use a pattern bit to enlarge the hole.

Last edited by hwebb99; 04-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

The rabbeting bit could ride on the face of the existing hole, right? This is how my box sits right now. I just want to cut a 7/8" rabbet about 3/8" deep around that hole.

So that I end up with this:

Last edited by WVHick; 04-07-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 01:56 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Yes that would work. I thought you were trying to cut all the way through.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I've never seen a 7/8 bit....and a quick search didn't turn up any results. You might be sol on a bit that large.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #6 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
Yes that would work. I thought you were trying to cut all the way through.
Which brings up the million dollar question...any bearing guided bits out there that will cut a 7/8" rabbet?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 02:23 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
take the 3/4" rabbit bit, cut a 3/4" rabbit from the top. Then drop the bit 1/8" and cut again.

boom, 7/8" rabbit.

edit: maybe I have my dimensions backwards.... you want 7/8" thick...

well... thinking outside the box... make a plate for the router. On that plate, mount 2 dowels (or bearings if you have them).

attach the router to that plate where you can make it so the 2 pins ride against the opening, and the router bit sits 7/8" outside.

Last edited by bauerbach; 04-07-2015 at 02:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bauerbach For This Useful Post:
FrankC (04-07-2015)
post #8 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 02:41 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
WV
Could you cut another board 3/8" thick and make the hole 1 3/4" larger (giving you the equivalent of a 3/8" deep X 7/8" wide rabbet). Overlay this board over the face of the other.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 03:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
maybe, but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVHick View Post
Which brings up the million dollar question...any bearing guided bits out there that will cut a 7/8" rabbet?
You need a rabbet bit, diameter large enough to suit, with a bottom bearing, diameter small enough to suit. The right combination is what will work.

Like this one, but a larger diameter cutter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amana-49340-...item5662fb0a18

If all else fails and you can't find a larger cutter...I couldn't and I search pretty well, then what? ....
You can use a top bearing on a cutter to remove material from the bottom of the surface leaving a ride path for the reverse setup, a bottom bearing with the correct diameter to get your 7/8" rabbet ....ultimately. That would be a 2 step operation.

Another option would be to use a slot cutter with a bottom bearing riding on the material like this and then space the cutter up progressively as you go to get your offset down from the top:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CMT-822-332-...item3cf6937448

I don't know how many cutters you can stack on the arbor to get more offset, or rabbet depth, but that may work with more than one cutter.... I donno?

http://www.toolstoday.com/c-333-slot...uter-bits.aspx

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-07-2015 at 03:54 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Bauerbach's last suggestion with the plate and two pins will work, you will have to make at least two setups, one for each pass to cut 7/8" wide, depending on the bit you have. Fortunately only the last pass is critical.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #11 of 17 Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
I think you could cut 7/8 in a pass... might want to swing a pretty big bit, but its doable.

Id still make the jig adjustable, it could be a useful rabbiting jig for any application.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, guys. Haven't decided yet what to do. May go ahead without flush mounting for now until I have a little more experience.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM

View Pcride's Photo Album My Photos
make a circle template like everyone is saying to cut the outer most dimension, then free hand the remaining 1/4 in. Shouldn't be hard at all. A steady hand is all you need.

I think you mean 7/8" wide, not depth.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Or just cut another top from 3/8 ply, cut the circle to the size needed using a jig saw and template, then glue it on top of the box front, so the front will be a bit thicker than the other sides, carpet the box and you won't see it.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Its easier this way than spending $50 for a bit you are only going to use once. I have a lot of those bits in my tool box from over the years :)

OR take it to a local shop and have them do it, might cost about $50.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 PM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a setup that should work. Put a 3/4" straight bit in the plunge router with depth set to 3/8". Install the guide that is meant to follow curves 1/8" away from the bit so the edge of the bit will cut 7/8" away from the hole. If you hold the router tight to the workpiece you will be left with a 1/8" wide and 3/8" high piece around the hole. If you have a steady hand you can hold the router away from the piece and waste the remainder or else remove it by hand planing or chisel.
Attached Images

post #17 of 17 Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Here is a setup that should work. Put a 3/4" straight bit in the plunge router with depth set to 3/8". Install the guide that is meant to follow curves 1/8" away from the bit so the edge of the bit will cut 7/8" away from the hole. If you hold the router tight to the workpiece you will be left with a 1/8" wide and 3/8" high piece around the hole. If you have a steady hand you can hold the router away from the piece and waste the remainder or else remove it by hand planing or chisel.
Only having one guide point will make it more difficult to keep a consistent distance from edge of hole as the guide has to be kept exactly perpendicular, it will work though.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode