How would you Join this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

View Kahlua's Photo Album My Photos
How would you Join this?

I'm building a simple shelf to put near our entryway to hang keys, put my wallet on, and to support a chalk board for leaving notes.

It's all being made out of 4/4 maple and I've already cut all the pieces, I just got stuck figuring out the best method to join everything.

Here's a terrible drawing of the underside (Half of it) that shows the main shelf (5'' width) the "support" bracket, and the rail that will hold the hooks for keys. The issue I'm having trouble with, besides being a total novice woodworker, is that I will be joining face grain (Shelf) to end grain (bracket) and then again with the end grain of the rail to the face of the bracket. The top of the shelf will have some little end pieces that will be directly over the brackets, so I considered using screws from the top to secure the brackets, but then am confused with what to do for the top pieces (not pictured). I think dowels are probably my best bet, but I wanted a second opinion.

As far as joining the rail to the bottom of the support, I figured I could do a sort of tongue and groove, or I guess an open(?) mortise and tenon where the support has a slot cut in the bottom and the rail could have a tennon that slides into it from underneath (exposed).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'll take actual pictures to show you guys the rough idea when I get home. My awesome camera (cell phone) was dead so I couldn't take any last night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM

View HandyNative's Photo Album My Photos
Dowels will work fine, biscuits too. You could do a sliding dovetail as well. Dado and glue , screws covered with plugs. You've got a few viable options.

A fellow with the inventiveness of Albert Einstein and the attention span of Daffy Duck
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM

View Fins59's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg Jig.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with dowels also, they will not be seen and should be plenty strong. Kreg jig would work but I personally have been trying to stay away from screws and like to use tradional joinery when I can.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Glue. Simple old but joints and glue.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode