How would you cut this mortise? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
How would you cut this mortise?

The 4" wide mortice needs to be cut 3/4" deep, at an angle of 6 degrees, on a 21.5" x 10" board?

Thinking on doing it on my shaper, with a strip attached to get the angle. Will be a bit short of 3/4" though and will have to do the mortise edges by hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Forget the angles.

Cut the mortise when the stock is square, then cut the stock to final shape.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
Forget the angles.

Cut the mortise when the stock is square, then cut the stock to final shape.
I screwed up, this is the fix unfortunately.

This part was supposed to have the tenons, the bottom one angled, easy to do on the table saw. Cut it too short, so now I have to put mortises in this piece and the tenons in the parts connecting to it, the latter already done. Bad practice, but it is what it is.

Easy to do with a horizontal boring machine, but I do not have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If I understand you, the mortise is 3/4" long x 3/4"deep x 1/4" wide. I would mount the piece vertically, clamped to a jig sitting at 6 degrees on the drill press, and just drill it out as you would normally. You'll have to hand chisel the sides and ends but that's not so difficult. A mortsing attachment on a floor model DP would be perfect in this case because you have an adjustable height table vs a dedicated mortising machine which may not have enough height adjustment...I donno? I would make the jig so it captures the piece on 2 sides and the rear. Then make another one for the flip side. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If I understand you, the mortise is 3/4" long x 3/4"deep x 1/4" wide. I would mount the piece vertically, clamped to a jig sitting at 6 degrees on the drill press, and just drill it out as you would normally. You'll have to hand chisel the sides and ends but that's not so difficult. A mortsing attachment on a floor model DP would be perfect in this case because you have an adjustable height table vs a dedicated mortising machine which may not have enough height adjustment...I donno? I would make the jig so it captures the piece on 2 sides and the rear. Then make another one for the flip side. bill
4" long. Yep, that sounds like a better idea than doing it on my shaper. Will give it a go, in Napoleon Ohio this week but home for the week-end.

Thx.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a milling machine would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillemJM View Post
4" long. Yep, that sounds like a better idea than doing it on my shaper. Will give it a go, in Napoleon Ohio this week but home for the week-end.

Thx.
Another time you want/need a milling machine. IT would be so easy just jig it up and travel the table back and forth while dropping the bit a little at a time. If you use a drill press, drill the end holes first and waste the center out 'cause the drill may wander next to a hole it it's too close. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode