How would you a bow in picture frame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

View jaykal001's Photo Album My Photos
How would you a bow in picture frame

Hi friends,
Wondering how you would go about fixing a bow in the front to back direction on a picture frame rail.
I don't have a planer or a jointer (yet), so I bought an S4S walnut board so I could just cut some dimensions and route edges, just to make a real simple frame. As I was cutting it up however, I presume a little stress released in the board and I ended up with a bow in a piece. Curious if I should just quick zip it over a sander in the center? (I'm not real adept with a handplane, but thought about working center out there as well?)

My big concern is if I take off any amount of material to remove that bow, I'll have to adjust the other 3 rails to match and keep the thicknesses consistent, and not sure if i'll be able to mimic it or not.

The picture attached is purely for reference. The image shows a shadowbox style, but I am simply using 3/4" stock that I'll pin to the edge of a canvas wrapped frame.

Thanks for the ideas or confirmations!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	306585  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think sanding the middle will be your best option. It won't be quick or easy without a belt sander but it should get it done.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 08:19 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
confused

Are you saying you have a flat frame that has one side piece with a bow?

Or are both sides bowed? The image you posted has an additional frame on the back of the picture frame, which is not the problem you stated ... right? You drew on the lines to show the direction ... right?

When a board bows on the flat surface it is difficult to correct. It may have dried unevenly or internal tensions have been released doing the milling operation. Sanding which will reduce the thickness may only increase the tendency to bow further. Is the frame glued together at present? If not, replacing that side may be the best solution. Sand if you wish to see if that will "cure" it, but I am doubtful. :frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
If you hold it against the painting that is going into it, does it go back straight. or does it bow the picture?

If it goes straight, and if there is enough material in the frame to accept a screw, you might be able to use a couple of screws from the back to attach the picture to the frame.

Another idea might be to glue/laminate a thin piece of hardwood to the back, making sure it is straight while the glue dries. sometimes, that can provide enough structure and support to straighten it out.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on the dimensions of your frame you may be better off biting the bullet and replacing that section of material.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

View jaykal001's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm thinking that it might not be worth a ton of hassle, as I can attached it directly to the painting itself. The bow is small, maybe 1mm in the center, spread out over 20inches. (to the point it may not be noticed, but might just rock against the wall if i don't correct.)

From what I can tell so far, I don't think it would mess with the painting frame if I secured it and clamped/glued it up.
Jay
post #7 of 7 Old 07-30-2017, 11:43 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
1mm, are you kidding? Trust me it will not be a problem.:smile3:

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode