How to Rabbet into a Butted Corner? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

View uavmx's Photo Album My Photos
How to Rabbet into a Butted Corner?

Hello,

New to the forum, fairly new to word working, but have general experience and fairly handy with an acceptable amount of tools. I'm working on building a workbench in which I want to recess the MDF sheet into the 2x4 frame. I plan on routing a rabbet into the inner edge of the 2x4 frame to make the space for the sheet to lay down flush. The issue I'm having is how to do this into the corner of the butted joint.

If I do a miter, I don't see the issue, just rabbet all the way through and the nice sharp corner for the MDF will be fine. But I don't like the miter for the strength (it's a rolling workbench) and sharpness (I want to have the corners rounded so they don't snag). So a butt joint is ideal, but I don't understand how to get a nice sharp corner with the router/rabbet approach. This image is an example how how I would like to end up, but I don't think they did a rabbet in this picture, just using as an example.

Look forwards to the responses, thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench corner.png
Views:	23
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	391437  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 01:38 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Stop the rabbit short and square it out with a sharp chisel. Or cut the rabbits full length and trim the lower portion of the end grain piece such, that when it butts up, the upper portion of that piece will fill the rabbit of the adjoining piece. That leaves you with a full thickness piece on the side where the screw head is, in your photo.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Dave, I expected the chisel option, not a huge fan but works.

I think I understand your second solution. So the long board rabbit all the way across, then cut a section out of second piece so that it extends a little further to fill the rabbet on the first board. I suppose you could rabbit both pieces all the way down, then just cut off the section of the rabbit with the area you need to relieve to fit into the rabbet on the second board?

I think I can play around with this and make it work, thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 03:35 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
I suppose you could rabbit both pieces all the way down, then just cut off the section of the rabbit with the area you need to relieve to fit into the rabbet on the second board?

I think I can play around with this and make it work, thanks!!
I think you got it. I included a real rough sketch. Don't make your pieces too short, remember they have to reach to the back side of the rabbit in the other piece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_143231.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	391439  

Last edited by Dave McCann; 06-24-2020 at 03:38 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 06:27 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know why your opposed to squaring off with a chisel. It will be the easiest method.
Sharpening and using chisels is an essential part of woodworking you will need to learn sooner or later.
A work bench would be a perfect project to practice on.
Having said that, you could glue and screw a cleat on instead of routing.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 PM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
How about an oscillating multitool instead of a chisel. If you don't have one this will give you an excuse to buy one.
You can do pretty precise work with the multitool and the prices run the gamut. Lots of uses for the multutool.
Plunge blade for this operation.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 06-24-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add info
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for the sketch, we're on the same page.

Jimmiem, good idea, I actually do have one, not sure if this would be faster or slower....thinking faster, might test both approaches and see which I like best.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 04:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You gotta bandsaw?

This is a perfect operation for a bandsaw, especially if there is more than one, like 4 corners?
Also a pull type saw, unless its already built .... in which case, it just doesn't make sense.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-25-2020 at 06:35 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I personally would take the ledge off of the other piece, will look better from the end as it will just appear as an edge band.

Likely much easier to do as well as you have a guide for the cuts, and won't be as obvious if you screw up the match.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode