How not to... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
How not to...

I was cutting a mortise, something I haven't done very often, and was cleanin up the top of the mortise to give myself lines to cut on, when the chisel slipped and moved violently in the direction I was pushing it. This would have been OK, except that I had stupidly put my left had in front of th chisel, and it made a deep gash in the end joint of my left index finger. I went back to the house immediatey and ran some water on it to see how bad the damage was. It was obvious that I would need stitches, so I called out to my wife, who brought me a towel, helped get the dogs in, and drove me to the hospital.

After waiting the required hour to get into the treatment area and for the death panel to decide I was worth treating I got eight stitches and a dressing, and was advised that it would take a week for the stitches to come out, two weeks to stop hurting and up to seven weeks to be fully healed. The doc says I cut the artery and the nerve to the finger tip, and will probably be numb on one side of my fingertip. Could be worse.

My record is intact still - I have only ever hurt myself on hand tools, never on a power tool.

Cheers,
Roger
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Ouch bummer man! Hope you recover quickly and fully! I sawed into the tip of my right middle finger last June on a table saw. Didn't lose much meat but its still numb. Win some lose some lol
post #3 of 14 Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that must have hurt. Best wishes for speedy recovery. Good reminder for the rest of us.

I try to have both hands behind a chisel blade. I expect you normally do the same.

Back in the days when straight slot drive screws were the norm, I had a screwdriver slip and put a decent cut in my right hand. I still hate having to work with slot drive screws. These days it is only to remove. I never use them in new work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry for your pain Roger but glad things will eventually work out for you. Thanks for reminding us to clamp our work or to use bench dogs and push sticks. I know we all try to cheat once in a while to save a minute or two. Hand tools can also hurt. Be careful everyone!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
It's odd but I've done more damages with a pocket knife than any tool.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 PM

View Day in Paradise's Photo Album My Photos
Wow I hope you heal quickly. Good luck.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM

View Hubbard's Photo Album My Photos
If its any consolation I have cut my left hand pretty decent on a RAS that wasnt running. Only power tool injury Ive suffered (wrench slipped in a blade change)
post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior junior member

Bandage off, stitches out!

Just to show the damage. I call this my clown finger now. Why? you ask. Because it feels funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ouch1304.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	70681  

Cheers,
Roger
post #9 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
One summer, about 15 years ago, I was helping a friend enlarge a basement window as an egress window. I was using a hammer and mason's chisel to clean out the corner of the opening (concrete). A piece of concrete flew into the tip of my left ring finger that was holding the chisel (stupid for not wearing gloves). It still has a weird, semi numb, semi tingly feeling when something pushes into it.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM

View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
OUCH, hope you are OK. I always love seeing the boo, boo's. I make many of them and plan to try and show them.
Problem is when I screw up, I do not take the time to film it.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior junior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
OUCH, hope you are OK. I always love seeing the boo, boo's. I make many of them and plan to try and show them.
Problem is when I screw up, I do not take the time to film it.
This photograph was taken after the stitches were out. At the time of the injury, I needed both hands to stop the blood flow. Even the doctor kept telling me I didn't need to watch, but I'm a curious guy.... Now the dead skin around the wound is begining to slough off, and it looks quite awful, but it is healing as it should. I've been wounded enough times that I'm used to this part.

Cheers,
Roger
post #12 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior junior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
If its any consolation I have cut my left hand pretty decent on a RAS that wasnt running. Only power tool injury Ive suffered (wrench slipped in a blade change)
I once changed the blade on a bow saw, with my children watching. I told them that I didn't know how, but I was going to injure myself during the process. Sure enough, when I moved my hand down the saw to tighten the bottom end, I cut my finger on a tooth.

Cheers,
Roger
post #13 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Roger, I cannot count the number of times my left hand has been on the business side of the chisel when it slipped and cut something. The difference is that until recently, my chisels were never very sharp, so the cuts weren't very bad. The danger of it has finally slowly started to sink in, but too often, I still find myself steadying something with one hand and coming at it with a chisel in the other hand.

You are not the first or last to have this happen to you. By labor day, it will be a distant memory.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM

View BigBadBuford's Photo Album My Photos
There was a kid in shop class with me in high school who did something similar.. He was using a chisel with one hand and holding the workpiece in the other. The chisel slipped and tore into his hand pretty good. However, instead of learning his lesson he proceeded to do it three more times in the next few minutes until he finally wised up and asked to go to the nurse... I don't think he was allowed to use sharp objects after that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode