How to join a bookended board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

View torea's Photo Album My Photos
How to join a bookended board

Hi!

I'm new here and relatively new to woodworking, but I'm trying to challenge myself with my next project. I'm working with tiger maple, and I want to bookend the top piece for a box I'm making to get that classic tiger stripe look. The problem is I don't know what joint to use on the two pieces once they're cut. To make matters worse, the board is only 1-1/8" thick and I don't have a large bandsaw so I'm going to resaw it by hand. I've done this before and am cautiously confident in my ability to cut it evenly. But there won't be much more than 1/2" of thickness remaining. There won't be any weight on this piece, but I still want to ensure that the joint will hold up over time.

The best I could think of is a shiplap joint running along the full length of the board. Is this my best option?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2016, 01:28 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
You dont really need any sort of fancy joint for a long grain joint, which i assume is what your going for. Make sure the edges youre joining are straight, then glue and clamp. The resulting joint will be plenty strong.

Shiplap joints are usually done in wide panels to deal with the effects of wood movement, they let adjoining boards in something like a cabinet back to expand and contract by sliding across each other instead of pushing against each other. Not really a joint, per say, as shiplapped boards arent usually connected to each other, and wont help to much in your situation if i understand it properly

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

View torea's Photo Album My Photos
Great! I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough but I guess yellow glue is stronger than the wood itself, right? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2016, 07:24 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by torea View Post
Great! I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough but I guess yellow glue is stronger than the wood itself, right? Thanks for the help!
Yes, as long as the joint is well fitted any carpenters glue will join the wood stronger than the wood itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode